Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant leak possible head gasket??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:57 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak possible head gasket??

Have had a slow coolant leak for a little while now but couldn't find it. Today went home for lunch noticed temp getting warm, got out at the house and saw smoke from driver side fender well. Opened hood and the cooloant is steadily dripping onto exhaust pipe near the fire wall on the drivers side. Cant really see where it is coming from but thinking head gasket. I am pretty mechanical but have limited tools at the moment. Wondering what the cost will be and if it's something i can do myself??

Old 12-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Look at the 2 small hoses under the throttle body, they are a common form of a leak.
DEo not drive the truck till it cools down and the coolant bottle is filled to the lid, then go straight to your mechanic or home and keep an eye on the temp gauge, if it moves at all, turn your heat full hot to help keep the engine from over heating.
Do not drive it but to get it fixed or you will toast your engine.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of doing mine right now - similar situation but I'm leaking left side just forward of the motor mount. I did have throttle body leakage and fixed that a while back, then it started leaking where it is now, slow at first but suddenly got worse.

So far the only tools I've had to borrow were a 36mm spanner and pulley holder to get the fan off. The rest of it looks like pretty straight forward pushrod V8. Getting all of the pumps and accessories out of the way looked worse than it was, everything is mounted on two large aluminum billet brackets that come off fairly easily.

I should have it all apart this weekend. I'll post some pictures that might be helpful.