General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Disco2confirmed Head Gasket Leak, possible Block issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:42 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco2confirmed Head Gasket Leak, possible Block issue

Hi I'm brand new to forums so forgive my burn in. I recently purchased my first Land Rover. I also have a 95 4Runner and pretty much Toyota's are what I'm used to for the last 15yrs.

I replaced brakes/lines, O2 sensors and air filter(K&N) so far until I discovered a small leak of coolant to investigate which is now a priority.

After reading the great info on this forum I power cleaned the engine (as per Disco Mike's posts) and located the leak at the back of the passenger side head gasket. It is a small leak but enough to bother me leaving drips everywhere I park. I haven't drove it much, only to test.

To make a long story short, I contacted the previous owner, got name of his garage that replaced the head gaskets 3-4 mths ago. The mechanic that worked on it said he suspected it would cause a seepage down the road eventually because the block is not perfectly flat in the area and has corrosion issues there. The heads only were machined at the time. I didn't get into why the owner or he took the chance to seal with a new gasket.

His suggestion was to drive it with the seepage because it shouldn't suddenly have a catastrophic failure and lose all coolant.

He also said there is nothing can be done to the block except I could try something like JB weld to build up the aluminum then file true again so the new gasket would seal properly.

I do all my own mechanic work so I could attempt to do this myself.

My Q. is...
Has anybody done this b4 successfully and what was used, how was it done?
Can the block be repaired another way?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated to add to my already consumed wealth of knowledge from your members posts that now make me feel more comfortable with this engine. As of now I'm still smiling everytime I sit in the leather seats. Awesome ride and can't wait to try off road. Still have a learning curve to navigate.

Thanks for everything guys...

Old 04-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

PM me your tele number, we should talk, OH, get rid of that K&N filter before it kills your Bosch MAF, very common and expensive lesson.
Mike

Old 05-03-2009, 08:25 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 96 disco w/4litre, with corrosion in cyl.5 thru to coolant port. Seems to be a prevelant problem w/ 4.0's. I am trying product called Blue Devil available @ advance auto since block is 4k plus. Initial rusults are promising tho my oil pump got trashed due to coolant laying in it for several months. Got used unit out of Phoenix,AZ, yet to get it together tho am confident that problem solved for the mean time