Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak- Rear of Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 03:25 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak- Rear of Engine

Hey guys,

Been lurking here for a little while, done quite a bit of searching- but looking for some help here for my first post. I recently picked up an 00 Disco II, 138k on the clock. Has the usual issues (leaky rear sunroof, 3 amigos.) I've got a new front driveshaft on order, as it appears the stock one has yet to be rebuilt.

As I get to know this thing more, and the more I'm reading here, the more I'm realizing it's looking like I've got HG issues. Oil appears clean, not murky, no "milkshake" coloring, engine pulls strong, no smoke, no problem. However, I'm getting that "rushing water sound" on startup, and this thing is drinking coolant like crazy. Today when I was topping up the reservoir I noted a few things-

- when I'm unscrewing the cap, even with a cold engine, I'm getting a lot of pressure release, and the coolant is bubbling up. this normal? Or do I have ton of air in the system?

- I noted some oil buildup/coolant drips on the back of the motor, right side, below the exhaust manifolds. My stomach is sinking here as I'm assuming this is leaking from the HG? Or is there a heater line back there that might be cracked/leaking/loose?

Looks like this forum is a great resource, and I'm hoping to contribute. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Mudding

Pressure test the cooling system. You'll find out for sure if you're leaking and exactly where.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Overlanding

I just replaced my reservoir last week - at first thinking I just had a bad plastic hose to the throttle. The reservoir actually had a crack in the bottom and was leaking coolant down the right side of the engine area near the exhaust. I was getting that sweet burning coolant smell too frequently.

Its normal to have pressure in the coolant system even when cold (quite a bit actually), sounds like you might have air in the system with the bubbling. The crack in my reservoir caused some air to enter my system as well, and mine did the same thing...so it had to be bled.

Hope its something simple!!

Last edited by vibrolucky; 10-27-2013 at 06:58 PM.