Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 07:25 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak(s)?

So I've got a DII with 155k.
My wife took a drive down the road 2 days ago and said it was smoking from under the hood so she brought it back. I check and it looks like when it got warm there was a coolant leak from a loose hose by the bleed skrew. Temp gauge needle is bottomed out and the indicator light is on.

I replace two of the three hose clamps there. Refill the coolant which was over a gallon short. Start it and the hose I didn't replace the clamp on starts dripping.. temp gauge and indicator still screwy evendors though I let it cool before starting. Replace the third clamp and I'll be darn if the hose tward the bottom starts leaking and indicators still screwed. It seemed to run ok around the block. Just a squeeky belt that cleared up.

I'm at a total lose. Just continue the cycle or is it a bigger issue I'm missing like too much pressure or something?

Old 10-18-2017, 07:43 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Poorfish
My wife took a drive down the road 2 days ago and said it was smoking from under the hood so she brought it back. I check and it looks like when it got warm there was a coolant leak from a loose hose by the bleed skrew. Temp gauge needle is bottomed out and the indicator light is on.

I replace two of the three hose clamps there. Refill the coolant which was over a gallon short. Start it and the hose I didn't replace the clamp on starts dripping.. temp gauge and indicator still screwy evendors though I let it cool before starting. Replace the third clamp and I'll be darn if the hose tward the bottom starts leaking and indicators still screwed. It seemed to run ok around the block. Just a squeeky belt that cleared up.

I'm at a total lose. Just continue the cycle or is it a bigger issue I'm missing like too much pressure or something?
What's the condition of the hoses and clamps? Potentially need new hoses if those are rot or just new clamps (I replaced most of mine with the screw type rather than the clamping ones). Is you expansion cap good? Also, to get a better read of temps, hook up an OBDII reader and scan for live activity to see actual temp numbers. You may also want to consider a new temp sensor which could address the temp needle issues.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:55 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LandBeard
What's the condition of the hoses and clamps? Potentially need new hoses if those are rot or just new clamps (I replaced most of mine with the screw type rather than the clamping ones). Is you expansion cap good? Also, to get a better read of temps, hook up an OBDII reader and scan for live activity to see actual temp numbers. You may also want to consider a new temp sensor which could address the temp needle issues.

​​​Wouldn't hurt to pick up an expansion cap I suppose. I'll get one tomorrow. Hoses are ok, still plyable and only leaking at the connections. I replaced those old clamps with the screw kind for a tighter seal. Thank you!

Old 10-18-2017, 08:59 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Poorfish

Disconnect battery and your gauge will work again. Oops, dont forget to re connect battery. Anyway, if you are having too much pressure in your cooling system, there might be an internal problem in your engine. Coolant pressure is only 14-18 average psi. If the pressure is making your hose burst or any unusual leakage, greater pressure from the engine find its way into the cooling system. Just hoping your hoses are just old.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Recently from my personal experience get a cap from the dealer and not an aftermarket. Cap is only $20.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

check the inside of your oil cap for white, mayonnaise like sludge. if there is then your coolant leaks may be caused by a head gasket leak.