Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak / Spraying

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coolant Leak / Spraying

Hey Guys,

I'm pretty unskilled with cars, but I think I have this one diagnosed... just not sure if someone can give me any advice before I take it into the shop. Anything I can do myself...?

I brought my '04 Discovery into the shop a few weeks ago because it wouldn't start. Turned out I needed a new mass air flow sensor and fuel pump (thanks to you guys, I already knew about the fuel pump) :-)

They replaced it, and it had been running fine until today. I noticed this morning my temp was running high after a 10-minute round trip drive. When I got home, I popped the hood to see coolant sprayed around the passenger side of the engine compartment. Coolant tank looked empty.

I let the engine cool down for a couple hours, and then added some coolant. I added what I had in the garage, which got me most of the way up to the coolant fill line.

I started it, and it looked OK at first, then after a few minutes, the hose right in the front / middle started dripping slowly... one drip every 5-10 seconds. The drips would hit the spinning belt, thus creating the spray that must have been going on.

After letting it run a few minutes, the drops fell faster, and the steam release (not sure if that's what it's called) part above the radiator began oozing a little. I turned off the engine, and the oozing turned into bubbling.

What do you think? If it helps, I took a couple videos...

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Did your temp gauge rise to the 3/4 or greater spot on the indicator?

With system leaking, pressure would not exist to keep boiling point down, so the tea kettle was fired up.

However, once hoses are replaced, it is important that you not have coolant loss (which can indicate more leaks, or a head gasket ($$$) leak).

Since this happened while driving, as opposed to idling, fixing hoses is first step. If no leaks and no coolant loss after that great. If over heat continues while in slow traffic or stopped, have mechanic check radiator fan clutch, flush radiator. If overheat continues while driving have mechanic check water pump and flush radiator.

You can do these things yourself. Suggest you use pre-mixed coolant (50/50, any brand EXCEPT Dexcool). Hoses go on with a simple clamp. Spin the main fan when engine cold, it should not turn but just a piece of a revolution. Try it again when you switch off engine agfter warming it up, may spin a little more, but not a whole revolution, and not free wheeling. The fan cools the engine at idle, the airflow from travel cools it at roadway speeds.

Water pump shuold not wobble, make noises, or leak, usually don't have problems until 90K or so.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-10-2011 at 04:34 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Where are the videos? I think I understand where the coolant was leaking from, but first hand experience, or pictures/videos are best. Chances are, if it only got a little warm on a 10 minute round trip drive, and that was from low coolant from a leaking hose or fitting, it may be an easy fix.

Please do not drive it until this issue is resolved, or you may risk engine damage.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:02 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for the replies, guys!

So it sounds like I'm looking to replace the radiator hoses first... and keep an eye on it from there?

Here are the videos:

2004 Land Rover Discovery - Coolant Leak - YouTube

2004 Land Rover Discovery - Coolant Leak 2 - YouTube

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 09-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

So you can not drive this Disco like that this weekend. You can buy a new bleed screw from BMW for around $6 as for any leak from the coolant bottle, either you have a cracked line or nipple on the bottle. If it is the bottle, it can't be repaired it must be replaced.
Do you know how to bleed the coolant system after doing these repairs?

Old 09-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Winching

Yeah, are you calling that part on the hard plastic that the hoses are connected to the "steam release" ?? It a bleeder to let air out of the system when you service the cooling system. It should not be leaking like that. Looks like this:

Amazon.com: Vaico Coolant Bleed Screw: Automotive

Old 09-11-2011, 06:26 AM
Overlanding

Sounds good, I'll replace the bleed screw ASAP. Disco Mike - you mention getting it from BMW; is that because all BMW bleed screws are identical to the LR Disco... or is it a specific BMW model's bleed screw that I'd need (i.e. X5?)

After that, I'll be looking for leaks coming from the coolant bottle and/or the lines coming from it. I'll replace as necessary.

No, I'm not sure how to bleed the coolant system afterward... but I'm sure I can get through it with the help of a how-to guide. Know of any good ones?

Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Bob - you need to download the RAVE manual. You can follow the link in DiscoMikes or my signature.