Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak - Timing Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak - Timing Gasket?

I saw a post earlier about the same issue. I have a good amount of coolant leaking from what my Russian mechanic tells me is a bad timing gasket. It appears to be from a round area and may be a rubber or plastic piece. Is this problem indicative of more bad things we can't see?

Since I speak about two words of Russian (da, nyet) and Alex speaks about 20 words of English, I have a couple of questions:

1) What is this part "offically titled?" Does anyone have a LR part #. I've tried several LR parts websites and cannot find it. Rockauto is out of them.

2) Is there anything else I need to replace with all the stuff torn off to fix this? My Disco II has 135K and is running fine. Going to put in my new Hyundai purge valve while we are in there.

Thanks in advance for your help. Best wishes for a great 2012!

Last edited by vandyboy; 01-16-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

A. You should have copy of RAVE service manual set, because it has pictures and drawings, which are universal. Free download below.

B.. see attached, #12 is the front cover gasket, and coolant for water pump flows thru there. The front cover also encloses the timing chain. One source is here Gasket - Front Cover | Land Rover Engine Parts at RoverParts.com

C. If this is the spot, while he is in there, time for an oil pump, or at least do manual pressure test and inspect. They can crack, cause a tick, and produce below normal oil pressure. See pix of a cracked one. By default, you will be getting a new front seal on the crank shaft. The other major item in there is the timing chain, probably time for that as well (closer to replace than brand new, they begin with slop in the chain).

D. Go ahead and replace water pump. They wear, wobble, eat aluminum, and leak. Pix attached.

E. Sometimes it is the water pump and/or the gasket under it and not the front cover that is leaking.

F. Now if this is not the area, let's hear more.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak - Timing Gasket?-p1030593.jpg   Coolant Leak - Timing Gasket?-p1030596.jpg   Coolant Leak - Timing Gasket?-oil-pump.jpg   Coolant Leak - Timing Gasket?-wallet.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
front cover gasket.pdf (235.7 KB, 118 views)
Old 01-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Overlanding

Savannah: this is the same stuff I saw on Rovers North, but the ring my mechanic kept pointing to looked like a round rubber gasket. When he pressure tested the system, the coolent poured from it.

I'll drop by the garage today and snap a few pics. Thanks for your help.

Rob

Savannah, GA is one of our most favorite towns in the U.S. My wife and I almost got to move there several years ago for a job, but her company did not win the contract. We had found an affordable fixer upper in Ardsley Park and were ready to go. We're still disappointed.

Last edited by vandyboy; 01-17-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

When he pointed to it, about where was it (front, rear, side), and what do you remember being near it?

Old 01-18-2012, 07:03 AM
Overlanding

Savannah, you were right the first time - it was the timing gasket, not the oil seal. From our investigation, it appears the water pump has been replaced and whoever replaced the seal didn't go a very good job, plus there was no....sticky sealant stuf on the bolts. The water pump holds up well under pressure, makes no noise and truck does not run hot. Thanks for all your info and help.

I should be in Savannah in late May or early June. I'd like to show you my appreciation by buying us a Savannah Bulldog (one of the best private label stogies IMHO) and smoking them in the nearest square or hitting the Six Pence for some scotch eggs and brews.

Last edited by vandyboy; 01-18-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:07 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

As for your other question as to what else should you be looking at, depends on how many miles on the engine. What year is your truck and how many miles on it? It might be worth your while, if you are over 140,000 miles to also replace the timing cgain set and the oil pump cause, by mileage, they are getting warn.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 AM
Overlanding

Mike: My Disco II is a 2002 with 130k miles. No noise from the chain as of yet and no oil leaks/consumption issues. Would you still go ahead with those replacements or wait a bit?