Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak from where???

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak from where???

Alright guys, Ive lost about a inch of coolant from my reservoir in the past 2 weeks. I cannot see a leak anywhere from the top but there is water blown all around the trans pan and what not. I have a mechanic looking at it and he cant see it leaking from anywhere as well. Is there anything around the back of the block that he should be looking for? Im downloading the rave manual now to find some copies of the engine components to give him a idea but figured I could get him started from some of you geniuses Thanks as always!

Old 07-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Many posts have been made about the valley pan gasket, which can leak from under the intake manifold and run out the back and down the block. A recent post I believe they may have been able to look under there with something and see the leak.

You do not mention steam, or smoke from tail pipe, so hopefully it is not head gasket time.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:50 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did your mechanic do a pressure test?

Old 07-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Drifting

He does not have the adapter for the Disco with his pressure test. Would Advance or Zone have one you think? Im going down there after work and I figured I would stop at one of these places and grab one. He does say the gasket that savannah mentioned makes sense and that might be why we cant see it from the top. Hopefully get the tester tonight and can figure it out tomorrow.

No steam or smoke from tail pipe...dont say head gasket job around me please

Thanks for the gasket tip!

Old 07-28-2011, 02:53 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by mwood2121
He does not have the adapter for the Disco with his pressure test. Would Advance or Zone have one you think? Im going down there after work and I figured I would stop at one of these places and grab one. He does say the gasket that savannah mentioned makes sense and that might be why we cant see it from the top. Hopefully get the tester tonight and can figure it out tomorrow.

No steam or smoke from tail pipe...dont say head gasket job around me please

Thanks for the gasket tip!
You might be able to rent a pressure tester from Advance or AZ? Not sure, never asked. Harbor Freight sells one for cheap...I've been told it will only last for about 5 tests before it quits holding pressure.

AZ has the valley gasket kit that comes with the gasket, the end seals and a tube of RTV. I'll have to dig for the part number because it is NOT listed under Land Rover. I think it was listed under '63 Buick or Olsmobile, IIRC

Old 07-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Drifting

Part number would be awesome because my local parts stores around here usually hire people about as clueless as I am about this vehicle and that's just not cool! It is funny when I go in with advice from the forum and then make them look dumbfounded .

Old 07-28-2011, 04:38 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by mwood2121
Part number would be awesome because my local parts stores around here usually hire people about as clueless as I am about this vehicle and that's just not cool! It is funny when I go in with advice from the forum and then make them look dumbfounded .
Tried to search, but couldn't find it...I've still got mine in the packaging at home, so I can get it to you then (assuming I remember)

Old 07-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

[QUOTE=yloDiscoII;259732]You might be able to rent a pressure tester from Advance or AZ? Not sure, never asked. Harbor Freight sells one for cheap...I've been told it will only last for about 5 tests before it quits holding pressure.

Advance has one that will work but you have to pay full price to borrow the whole kit it's about $170 if I remember correctly. Kind of steep, but you do get it all back if and when you return it. You don't have to bring it back if you don't want to though.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:47 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the one from Habor frieght works just fine, unless you work in a radiator shop preasure testing a dozens cars a day.My original one is over ten years old and i have preasure tested a lot more than 5 car. If i did not need the rover screw on adaptor I never would have boughten a new one from them. BTW if you look in almost any car magazine they usually have a 20% off coupon for habor freight in them which bring the price down to around $59.

Radiator Pressure Tester Kit

Last edited by drowssap; 07-29-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:24 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Just take the truck to a radiator shop and have them test it.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak from where???