Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leaked completely out of 03 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 06:01 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant leaked completely out of 03 Discovery

Was driving to pick up new furniture for my loft and I looked down and noticed my temp was a little high. Pulled over immediately and killed the engine and steam started coming up through the hood. After popping the hood I could see the steam was coming from back near the brake fluid reservoir (somewhere back near the firewall) and from underneath you could tell it was steadily coming out. Before long it was all the way gone. Any thoughts on what this could be? Local Land Rover told me they wouldn't have anyone in to look at it until next monday but considering I was about 2 blocks away at the time I let it sit for 6 hours, filled it up with water, and drove it the two blocks. Never even got warm on that short trip and the water had barely gone down by the time I got there (10 minutes later was gone though).

Any thoughts or suggestions on what I should do or check out? Guy that was there at the time told me I was welcome to come look at it in the parking lot if I wanted to over the holiday and do whatever I wanted. I'm so busy with a newborn son that I'm going to just have them change out ALL of my fluids for me. Hopefully this isn't going to set me back too much

Old 11-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember I had a similar leak recently it came from the back of the engine by the firewall, check the top of your driver side valve cover for coolant too, mine turned out to be a leak at the throttle body heater plate. Coolant was running to the back of the engine and dripping on the cat. Its worth a look.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:24 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You have blown a head gasket or have a major coolant leak at the valley pan gasket, either way do not start or drive it again, find a small shop, not the dealer and have it towed to them. The dealer will charge up-wards of $3000 for head gaskets where a small shop will be closer to $1700 plus a new set of 8mm plug wires and head work if needed.
DO NOT DRIVE IT, if you do you can toast the engine and now you are up over $6000.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:22 AM
KBW
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You have blown a head gasket or have a major coolant leak at the valley pan gasket, either way do not start or drive it again, find a small shop, not the dealer and have it towed to them. The dealer will charge up-wards of $3000 for head gaskets where a small shop will be closer to $1700 plus a new set of 8mm plug wires and head work if needed.
DO NOT DRIVE IT, if you do you can toast the engine and now you are up over $6000.
I was quoted $1164 for a intake manifold gasket. They did a pressure test and then went in and found it. Is this a job I could do myself? My auto mechanic work has never gone beyond changing oil, plugs, wires, brakes, and fluids. I have a few buddies who are pretty good with cars though. I looked on roverparts.com and didn't see a kit for the DII.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:46 AM
KBW
Mudding

Originally Posted by KBW
I was quoted $1164 for a intake manifold gasket. They did a pressure test and then went in and found it. Is this a job I could do myself? My auto mechanic work has never gone beyond changing oil, plugs, wires, brakes, and fluids. I have a few buddies who are pretty good with cars though. I looked on roverparts.com and didn't see a kit for the DII.
anyone? I would like to know if this is a ripoff or something I can do myself with a little time and work before dishing out $1164 on top of what I've already paid for them to diagnose what was wrong.