Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant - OAT vs HOAT vs Green Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Coolant - OAT vs HOAT vs Green Stuff

I have read and seen pics of all the mess Dex-Cool (OAT) makes, and when I bought my D2 as the 3rd owner at 79K it had the green stuff in it, so I was glad to see that. However, I was just replacing the coolant on my wife's 2003 Chrysler Town & Country for the first time and had never heard of HOAT type coolant. It has been out for a while, but this is my first encounter with it, as most of my cars are older. This is Hybrid OAT that Ford/Chrysler call for in some of their newer models, and the HOAT is supposed to be the answer to extended run coolant for aluminum engine components from what I have been reading. Anyone using this in their D2 or similar V8 rover? Thoughts about using this ... I ended up using Zerex G-05 brand of HOAT coolant to replace the coolant for the minivan.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover_Hokie
I have read and seen pics of all the mess Dex-Cool (OAT) makes, and when I bought my D2 as the 3rd owner at 79K it had the green stuff in it, so I was glad to see that. However, I was just replacing the coolant on my wife's 2003 Chrysler Town & Country for the first time and had never heard of HOAT type coolant. It has been out for a while, but this is my first encounter with it, as most of my cars are older. This is Hybrid OAT that Ford/Chrysler call for in some of their newer models, and the HOAT is supposed to be the answer to extended run coolant for aluminum engine components from what I have been reading. Anyone using this in their D2 or similar V8 rover? Thoughts about using this ... I ended up using Zerex G-05 brand of HOAT coolant to replace the coolant for the minivan.
We replaced the Dex Cool with Zerex G-05 as the G-05 has the best of both world with the fast acting protectants coupled with the long lasting protectants. Also added a bottle of Water Wetter (funny thing is the antifreeze was yellow until the Water Wetter make the antifreeze reddish orange). No ill effects after about 5K miles.

We replaced our radiator, went with the grey 180 degree thermostat and all coolant hoses at the same time. The fast protection convinced me to use the G-05 to protect the new radiator.

2003 Discovery 134K all high miles services complete.

Old 09-27-2021, 11:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I apologize up in post 5 I said the block drains were in the head. I was corrected. They are in the block. That just proves you should always proof read before you hit the Post button.