Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant/overheating issue and other stuff

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Compression test time. If your system holds pressure you're golden. If not, well, download the RAVE and buy a box of gloves.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lyleorszulak807
Id still like to believe that when I replaced the thermostat I didnt get all the air out the cooling system. Since Ive replaced it blurped the air out, I have probably added 2 gallons of water. Also I know the SES codes mean just not sure if they are related to the cooling issue. When the SES light comes on I can feel the misfire, but when I restart the vehicle the misfire is gone....thats why Im leaning towards spark plug wires and/or coils.
So you bled the cooling system, and since then you've added 2 gallons of water? I'm a relative n00b to LR's too and even I can tell you that if you bled it, there is no way you should have that big of a bubble. Isn't 2 gallons roughly 1/2 the capacity of the entire system? Where do you think it's all going? I totally understand not wanting to think that it's the HG, but don't let yourself slip into a state of denial.

You may need plugs/wires too, but you need to go have your cooling system tested for exhaust gases.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I replaced the thermostat I would say about 3 to 4 gallons, I was going to do a compression test on the cylinders first, pull the plugs and see if they are wet, etc.....dont have the tools to the the cooling compression test.

Keep in mind before the upper rad hose blew I had the waterfall sound at that time, just didnt know that was relative to the cooling system. The LR never over heated or had coolant loss before hand either. Thing is when the upper rad hose blew out about 60 miles out of vegas I didnt bleed it properly so there could of been air stuck in there. Going to drive around for a bit and let cool then see if the coolant goes down.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lyleorszulak807
Since I replaced the thermostat I would say about 3 to 4 gallons, I was going to do a compression test on the cylinders first, pull the plugs and see if they are wet, etc.....dont have the tools to the the cooling compression test.

Keep in mind before the upper rad hose blew I had the waterfall sound at that time, just didnt know that was relative to the cooling system. The LR never over heated or had coolant loss before hand either. Thing is when the upper rad hose blew out about 60 miles out of vegas I didnt bleed it properly so there could of been air stuck in there. Going to drive around for a bit and let cool then see if the coolant goes down.
HB has a coolant system pressure test kit, never owned it myself, but it's got relatively good reviews:

http://www.harborfreight.com/radiato...kit-65053.html

And 20% off if you have a store nearby:
http://dealspl.us/imageview.php?f=108017

Old 09-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At that rate you should smell coolant in your exhaust gasses.
My guess is you have problems with the cold starts because you have coolant pooling in the cylinders. Check your spark plugs and see if they look steam cleaned. Poke a piece of string in the spark plug hole and see if it comes out wet with coolant.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ShortTom
HB has a coolant system pressure test kit, never owned it myself, but it's got relatively good reviews:

http://www.harborfreight.com/radiato...kit-65053.html

And 20% off if you have a store nearby:
http://dealspl.us/imageview.php?f=108017

Cool thanks for the heads up and the coupon, HF is just down the street. When I get back from the drive, Ill pull the plugs and let you know what I find.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Drifting

took out number 6 plug today....you guys were right. blown head gasket. Plug is rusty brown....

So how easy is it to change the head gasket and should I mill the head while im at it? doesnt look like the other side is leaking but might as well change both sides while im at it.. How much for the parts, I heard somewhere around 500.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Contact PT Schram www.ptschram.com for the gasket kit.
You have to do both sides at the same time, or at least it is the sensible thing to do. Have the heads checked for warp and machined if required.