Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant squirting from block.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 09:58 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Coolant squirting from block.

Hi guys. Got major problem here and just wondering if there is a fix. My disco had power steering leak. Then i replaced the pump. After fix, coolant started to squirt right behind the pump mount and its coming from the block. Is there a possible fix? What to do. Thanks
Here is the video.
https://vimeo.com/190196254

Old 11-03-2016, 10:07 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

I think most here will agree that what you have there is a major head gasket leak. The fix is to replace it, actually replace both while you are in there. You're not going to want to drive it until it's sealed up tight again.

Weird that is started only after you replaced the PAS pump. Maybe it was on the ragged edge of failure and pulling the mounting bolts caused it to finally break free.

The following users liked this post:
LR03NJ (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 10:41 PM
TReK

Thanks Red5,
I have been using 1 litre of steering fluid a day for a week and a half until I got the part. Then this happened. Oh, well. So far, Im getting used to fixing this disco all the time now.
If a leak like that happened due to gasket failure, any possibility that I badly damaged the engine? I started the engine to bleed the steering fluid, then after 10 minutes, it started squirting, then I turn off engine immediately.
I took all the parts out again to check where the leak is coming from.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,277 Likes on 897 Posts
Default Head gasket

Man, that stinks. Make a repair...and another one immediately pops up. What type of anti-freeze were you using?

You probably didn't do any harm to the engine, since you only ran it like that for a few minutes.

Good luck, with the repair.

Brian.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

is this the same truck with ZERO compression across all cylinders that you posted about the other day? Don't tell me this is your 2nd truck that just $hit the bed...

Last edited by chubbs878; 11-04-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:15 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by chubbs878
is this the same truck with ZERO compression across all cylinders that you posted about the other day? Don't tell me this is your 2nd truck that just $hit the bed...
unfortunately this is the working disco that got messed up. Im with the other right now waiting for AAA to tow to another shop which this rapair shop said zero compression. Sending it now to a land rover mechanic to get it started. Worse, its weekend and cant find a rental car. I managed to rent one from a used car dealer with a beatup compact car.
Well, last night I purchased the head gasket kit for the leaking disco. I might do it myself. I guess im half way removing all the parts anyway.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:18 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Man, that stinks. Make a repair...and another one immediately pops up. What type of anti-freeze were you using?

You probably didn't do any harm to the engine, since you only ran it like that for a few minutes.

Good luck, with the repair.

Brian.
Thanks Brian,
Ordered the part last night and would probably do it myself. Any special tools needed? Btw, i use Peak 50/50 green the blue container with yellow cap.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:52 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Any special tools needed?
Torque wrench at least. The rest is just ratchet stuff.

You may also need new head bolts (or studs if you go that route). I have re-used TTY bolts on other engines without issue but the Bosch engine may be less forgiving. I have not personally had the heads off of mine.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Whoa... how did a huge leak like that just show up after replacing the p/s pump? Who did the work? Judging by the cleanliness of the area, it looks like someone put a lot of effort into cleaning it up. Was the gasket damaged in the process? (used a pick or something?)

Old 11-04-2016, 01:11 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by squirt
Whoa... how did a huge leak like that just show up after replacing the p/s pump? Who did the work? Judging by the cleanliness of the area, it looks like someone put a lot of effort into cleaning it up. Was the gasket damaged in the process? (used a pick or something?)
Actually, I did the p/s pump myself. Lol! Nothing close to damaging the gasket during the process. I guess my disco was just showing off. Does not want to get fixed. Its like a dog making its territory everywhere it parked. In leas than a week, this is how much fluiid it used until i got the new part. Fluid used less than a week.

Quick Reply: Coolant squirting from block.