Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant system block seal???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:30 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Coolant system block seal???

Hi fellows:
I need some advice in two aspects.

My 99 disco is overheating, as it seems very "normal" and common, I had taken it to the Dealership countless times, and it seems that the problem is either getting worst or moving forward, it looses coolant and system gurgles at heater core area, you can hear it like a table fountain???.

a) I'll like to try myself to use a engine block sealer, to hopefully stop the loose of coolant, that is not a visible leak.

b) since my radiator doesn't have a bleadding/flush valve, what is the best way to flush the engine?

Thanks in advance to anyone that may have the answer to my troubles, any feedback will certainly be appreciated.

consultama.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't say if it's a DI or DII, mine's a DI, for what it's worth.

My pass head was weeping at the rear several (3?) years ago, I thought I'd try "barr's stopleak" and see how it went.

It worked fine - I since have flushed the cooling, still no prob.
I must say, I was not losing coolant very often, and I can't say it'll work for you.

To flush, I removed upper hose at thermostat housing, stuck a garden hose into top hose, as engine warmed, and stat opened, (slowly puking fluid onto engine) I would make up the water loss thru the hose.

Simple, great flush, quick.

Pulled bottom hose, drained, reassembled, antifreeze in rad (thru top of rad plug) it's been good.

luck,greg

Old 05-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Stay away from the block sealers or you'll be buying yourself a new engine.
Quit driving it as of today or you will also be looking at an engine.
If you plan to keep this a while start looking for a good mechanic that has done head gaskets before.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea guys on this forum make head gasket changes seem so easy. That's what I would do.

However I used a sealant on my previous 4runner.
Lasted for 20,000miles..

Old 05-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not use a liquid block sealer unless you want to buy a new radiator in addition to a new engine... The aluminum motors are far less forgiving of abuse than real ones, so be very careful with what you do. If you have a situation where there is a compression loss due to a blown head gasket, just go ahead and replace it. If you are simply losing coolant, try to find the source and fix that. The factory hose clamps on these things are junk. I am in the process of replacing all of them. I also bypassed that awesome intake heater and went straight from the intake manifold to the coolant reservoir.

Try burping all the air out of the system, but you need to make sure it is properly sealed first. Have you tested your rad cap?