Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant temperature

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 12:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Question hg...

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
Why do you say it needs the gaskets replaced?
i assume so cause it sends out white smoke.. today i did not see any smoke but usually 3 out of 5 days i see white smoke for a while... do you think that the thermostat can influence that behavior?

Old 02-18-2018, 05:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by uvodee
i assume so cause it sends out white smoke.. today i did not see any smoke but usually 3 out of 5 days i see white smoke for a while... do you think that the thermostat can influence that behavior?
I would have to say no....but

Can you smell your exhaust? I don't mean get down on the ground and wrap your lips around the pipe...I mean, cup your hand over it, and then kind of put some in your face.

What I want you to do is try to see if you notice a sweet smell.

If any water, moisture collects on your hand, taste it , again looking for a sweet taste.

Try it when the motor is cold and hot.

Take a drop of your oil off the dipstick and touch it to your tongue. If it tastes sweet, like antifreeze you have other problems. Another good spot to check is on the underside if the oil cap.

Warning: it will not make you high or drunk so don't suck it all out the pan.

The purpose here is a quick way to potentially see if you have antifreeze mixing with your oil or exiting out the pipe. If its in your oil, it could be the head gaskets. If its coming out the pipe, its the head gaskets, or cylinder liners.

Another thing you might try...borrow a borescope from an auto parts store and slide it into the piston. See what the quench area looks like. It should have a black sooty appearance. If it doesn't and looks all clean...uh oh

Old 02-19-2018, 05:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

idling temp 201, driving 187`189
cold = white smoke an sweet smell i think
warm = no smoke and nothing sweet smelling
no ticking, no knocking and no weird noises.
10.3 mpg
Biggs will diagnose . i will need to spend some money for a correct diagnose, $350
that will be deducted from HG install if that is the fix, they gave me a quote of $3400 all inclusive stating they would only use original hardware and give a warranty
i love the car and beside the hg, it looks and drives perfectlt