Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant: Throttle Body Heater Plate

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 03:37 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help...

once you bend the copper tubing to a C, is there anything else to do (to the
Throttle Body)?

Old 11-01-2017, 09:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SwimLSU
Thanks for the help...

once you bend the copper tubing to a C, is there anything else to do (to the
Throttle Body)?
not sure what copper tubing you refer to. mine had a rubber hose going from intake to throttle body heater. I disconnected it at the heater plate and put a bolt with rtv in it then tightened the hose clamp. the other side of the plate was a hard plastic line going to the reservoir. I used a short piece of rubber line with another bolt in it to cap off the nipple on the tank.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

He's talking about installing a U-pipe instead of the heater. No need. Just pull the coolant lines from the TBH and plug them. I used appropriately-sized short bolts and small hose clamps. If you look at the RAVE coolant flow diagram you find that the TBH circuit connects to nothing else and serves no other purpose.

Last edited by mln01; 11-02-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

The more northern you live, the more you'll need your TB heater. Just a thought of caution, and, if youre going to eliminate the heater, don't plug the lines, add a pipe so the fluid still flows.

If you want to use your TB heater and the surfaces aren't damaged, just use a slight coating of ultra black on both sides of the gasket and you'll be fine. Always clean the mating surfaces with some brake Kleen, apply ultra black, then the gadket, assemble. Let dry.

If the surfaces are slightly corroded, use two gaskets or replace the parts.

Last edited by shanechevelle; 11-02-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
... if youre going to eliminate the heater, don't plug the lines, add a pipe so the fluid still flows.
Why? Have you looked at the coolant flow diagram?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DII coolant flow diagram.pdf (267.1 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by mln01; 11-02-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
Why? Have you looked at the coolant flow diagram?
Yes, its a no brainer. You reduce coolant flow from the block. Yes, its a small amount...but when you have shade trees that can't keep their temps in check, and then they start doing things like this...no wonder.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:47 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bypassed my throttle body warmer about 2 months ago. It needed a new gasket for the 2nd time in two years. I read numerous people in a number of forums talk about how by passing it is not a problem, even in cold climates. So I went ahead and did it.
Today was the first real cold day that I have driven in since bypassing (not plugging). It was -29 Celcius. I warmed up the truck, to about 165 F and gently drove away. 4 minutes later, my throttle is stuck! I knew exactly what it was, and put her in neutral and tried to bang the gas pedal a number of times to unstick it. DO NOT BYPASS THIS THROTTLE BODY HEATER IF YOU LIVE IN COLD CLIMATES.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by vonrock
I bypassed my throttle body warmer about 2 months ago. It needed a new gasket for the 2nd time in two years. I read numerous people in a number of forums talk about how by passing it is not a problem, even in cold climates. So I went ahead and did it.
Today was the first real cold day that I have driven in since bypassing (not plugging). It was -29 Celcius. I warmed up the truck, to about 165 F and gently drove away. 4 minutes later, my throttle is stuck! I knew exactly what it was, and put her in neutral and tried to bang the gas pedal a number of times to unstick it. DO NOT BYPASS THIS THROTTLE BODY HEATER IF YOU LIVE IN COLD CLIMATES.
For those who use the proper system of measure...that would be

-20 Fahrenheit

That temp is not considered a cold climate, that temp is considered ****ing freezing climate.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

It was 1°f today. Gauges didn't work but throttle worked fine

Old 12-26-2017, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

With it being -20F I'm surprised you didn't have other issues... I've been in below freezing conditions = zero problems. Like I've always said it also comes down to throttle cable condition, spring condition, and how clean your throttle body is in the first place.

Quick Reply: Coolant: Throttle Body Heater Plate