Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant: Throttle Body Heater Plate

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 09:19 PM
Mudding
Received 160 Likes on 73 Posts

It's always below 0 here in the winter - I've seen -47F up in the mountains. I'll keep the heater plate I used Indian Head Shellac with my gasket when I fixed my leak years ago.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I don’t normally say this but pictures or it didn’t happen.....
I swear it’s even more rare than a Big Foot sighting.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:59 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by best4x4
i don’t normally say this but pictures or it didn’t happen.....
i swear it’s even more rare than a big foot sighting.
2x ∆ ∆ ∆

Old 12-27-2017, 10:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Just because you live in a climate where this may not happen doesn't mean its impossible. Many vehicles have throttle warmers. Use the right gasket material and sealant and it will never leak. Ultra black is my favorite. Indian head will work but you won't get it back off.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
Just because you live in a climate where this may not happen doesn't mean its impossible. Many vehicles have throttle warmers.
And many vehicles don’t have them...... 08 H3 Hummer Alpha 5.3L LS3 engine = nada zip nothing. Many people I know owned them up in Canada/Alaska with zero issues. As much as they drove them someone would have had a failure.Nothing is impossible, but until I “see” proof I’m calling BS especially since the throttle body is directly over the exhaust manifold (heat rises). If ice is forming inside the throttle body there is other major factors at work... If the D2 has an original throttle cable, it could be sticking/dragging & if the throttle body is dirty it could be another reason. I need proof!!Plenty of 4x4’s I’ve owned had nothing to warm the throttle body & no one ever reported a stuck throttle body.... More likely to rent a Prius and have the floormat stick IMHO.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:07 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a local shop do a 4.6 engine swap in my '04 Disco. I didn't notice that they hadn't connected the throttle body heater. Damn thing frozen on me yesterday. They fixed it in about an hour (and they felt stupid for missing that).

Old 12-27-2017, 05:06 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Best4x4
With it being -20F I'm surprised you didn't have other issues... I've been in below freezing conditions = zero problems. Like I've always said it also comes down to throttle cable condition, spring condition, and how clean your throttle body is in the first place.

I've been driving this D2 for years in the Canadian winter. It is very often -20 F or colder, for months on end. This used to be my northern bush truck that was used day in and day out for work. It's has worked extensively in very, very cold weather. You can double down on your claim that the throttle body won't freeze all you want. It's not something else.

Where are you again? TEXAS?

Old 12-27-2017, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by vonrock
I've been driving this D2 for years in the Canadian winter. It is very often -20 F or colder, for months on end. This used to be my northern bush truck that was used day in and day out for work. It's has worked extensively in very, very cold weather. You can double down on your claim) that the throttle body won't freeze all you want. It's not something else.

Where are you again? TEXAS?
My location has nothing to do with it! I am talking about Jeep Cherokee’s, Grand Cherokee’s, Wranglers, H3 Alpha, just to name a few which DO NOT have throttle body heaters and plenty of the members on those forums lived in Canada...... Not a single stuck open throttle body...... I want to see a darn pic of it stuck, either by the temps making the metal causing it bind, snow ice, whatever... All these so called stuck throttles and not one pic of a frozen throttle body...Like I clearly said way to many factors at play here to just blame a throttle body heater plate with 165F coolant flowing thru it if that minus some thermal temp loss. Cables can bind in cold weather, (there was even a TSB on them sticking). I tossed a throttle body into some water and froze it. I then moved the flap by hand and at first it didn’t move much, but the second time the ice just fell out..... now on a nasty dirty throttle body I can see all sorts of stuff happening.In temps like that I’d expect fan blades/fan clutches removed, and the radiator blocked off some to help keep it warm. Comparing it the an airplane is BS as a LR isn’t going thru different altitudes with varying air/moisture levels either.Give us proof, in a video or pictures...

Last edited by Best4x4; 12-27-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:43 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You did what to a throttle body? Put it in water and then froze it? At what temperature?

If you have never experienced extreme cold temperatures, say, by living in TEXAS, you have no concept of what extreme cold temperatures are, or what they do.

There is no 165F coolant running through the throttle body warmer. It's bypassed.

You want me to take a picture, or a video. So what you are asking is that if it happens again, I am to let my engine race, pull over to the side of the road, pop my hood. Disconnect the air intake, pull out my phone, and take a picture of it so that I can prove some guy in Texas that he doesn't know what he is talking about? That is what it will take to convince you?

"I tossed a throttle body into some water and froze it" This statement you made is what convinced me you either full of ****, or have no clue as to the reality of cold weather.

Have a great life, Tex.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Have I ever stated anything about this happening in TX? Heck no and I am only mentioning everyone I know in Canada with a LR, Jeep, or a H3 Alpha without throttle body heaters. Also just for the record we do get cold weather here in TX, just nothing compared to up north. It is not a barren place that looks like Death Valley.

What I meant by my throttle body (an old spare) sitting in a freezer with some water frozen on it was to test the strength of the spring/plate with ice frozen around the plate. It moved without hardly and resistance and then fully rotated/closed.

The 165F comment was "if" you still had your throttle body heater plate installed the coolant wouldn't be as warm as the coolant in the engine due to thermal loss via the rubber hose. You'd have more than 165F worth of heat coming straight off the exhaust manifold.

I am just trying to get all the facts. Air filter frozen, air box full of snow/ice, throttle cable stuck/frozen, and a dirty throttle body? Or nada zip nothing but it just magically froze up.

Trust me if that crap had happened to me I'd have found the cause of it and posted all the facts to the board vs Oh my throttle body stuck open.....

I guess running around with a radiator fully open to the elements, a cooling fan sucking air thru the radiator is all part of the winter experience. Whenever I've traveled in blizzard conditions. I've always blocked some air flow thru the radiator to help keep things warmer.

Quick Reply: Coolant: Throttle Body Heater Plate