Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Types

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 05:34 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coolant Types

I had to top up my overflow tank today with whatever they had at Autozone. I looked online while I was there, and the salesperson also googled a few things but we ultimately couldn't find anything that they had in stock that matched exacly. So...I bought the Pentofrost A1 (Red) coolant (Pentosin Antifreeze) which is an OAT coolant. It says its for Asian market cars. There were a few different versions & colors (Green,Pink,Blue).

Is the A1 (Red) suitable for a 2001 Discovery II with 170k+. Can I continue to use this when a top-up is needed? Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 08-18-2016, 05:35 PM
Drifting

BTW, this was on a Sunday and the tank was low so wanted to get something in there quick prior to an overheating episode. Already done two head gaskets on this truck

Old 08-18-2016, 06:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't know much about the Pentofrost coolant. It sounds like it's a similar type, but mixing coolant can make a real mess sometimes! My GMC for instance came with a Dex-Cool/green coolant mix and was FULL of sludge that took three flushes, a radiator and a heater core replacement to get rid of.
In the summer months, it's much easier to just put some water in there to top it up until you can get the correct coolant.
Like I said though, I don't know much about what you put in. I'm sure someone will know more about it.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 619 Posts

It depends on what was in the system already. Coolants specified by manufacturers are sometimes swapped out by owners, especially owners on this forum so it matters more what's in it now than what was in it originally. Some coolants are compatible, some are not and mixing them can cause problems.

Do you know what was in the system? What color was it? If you don't know the mechanic who did your head gaskets back in January should be able to tell you.

BTW, in Charlotte in August you can just add water. Distilled water if you can but tap water will do in a pinch.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

While we are on the subject, people have been getting away from the red/OAT coolant use, especially in these trucks. Do yourself a favor by flushing the system completely clean and starting over with a 50/50 mix of the traditional green ethylene type and distilled water. That OAT is NO JUENO, def 1 of the contributors to cooling system issues and failures. Do a search on it. Your head gaskets will thank you for the change. And why is your coolant low? Neglecting a leak? You are just asking for another gasket replacement or worse.

Last edited by chubbs878; 08-19-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:16 AM
Drifting

So I called the place that did the gaskets in January and they said they use Dexcool (yellow, but it looked pink to me) that is an OAT coolant. They said it was a general GM coolant. They also said you can top up with any general coolant.

Chubbs878...i hear ya on the leak. I have not found one, and the coolant level has not dropped again since topping up. I check it every week along with oil, PS and brake fluid. I might do a flush in a few weeks just to be safe.

Thanks for the responses!

Old 08-19-2016, 09:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by slink182
So I called the place that did the gaskets in January and they said they use Dexcool (yellow, but it looked pink to me) that is an OAT coolant. They said it was a general GM coolant. They also said you can top up with any general coolant.

Chubbs878...i hear ya on the leak. I have not found one, and the coolant level has not dropped again since topping up. I check it every week along with oil, PS and brake fluid. I might do a flush in a few weeks just to be safe.

Thanks for the responses!

I just suggest flushing the OAT b/c when I bought this last D2 with under 100K with all service records, EVERYTHING in the cooling system failed within the first 3-weeks of my new ownership. I'm talking hoses, fittings, water pump, overflow tank AND cap, fan clutch...you name it. everything was junk as the OAT ate-up and degraded all of the parts from the inside, out. I read on here where most suggested using the green-type of antifreeze and only mix with distilled water. Even the couple of times I had it in the shop, turned around and flushed the Dex-Cool out asap even though I paid for it. It ruins everything.

PS: while you are checking fluid levels, look on the bottom of the transfer-case for gear lube or transmission fluid. The rear tranny seal tends to leak so do a check on your tranny fluid once in a while as the unit will last many, many miles so long as you maintain the fluid level there, too. don't forget to grease your front drive shaft or your transmission fluid will no longer be contained sans the gi-normeous hole made by the drive shaft coming undone at the CV-joint.

Last edited by chubbs878; 08-19-2016 at 10:01 AM.