Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling liquid leaking problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 03:40 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling liquid leaking problem

Couple of weeks ago I posted an overheating problem with my Series II TD5 Discovery. Turns out there was a leaking problem after all due to tired clamps around the hoses connected to engine, radiator etc. Well that is what I thought 2 repairs done now with a total of 3 clamps being replaced. One leak I had seen myself and was clearly coming from around one of the replaced clamps. This morning after the second set of clamps was replaced: again coolant leakage. It seems only to occur when the engine is cold not when driving. What to do? Could it be more clamps leaking or something major. It has almost 201k kms on the clock so I am thinking maybe time to trade it in or sell it. But I love it too much . Any suggestions much appreciated.

thanks

Old 07-03-2009, 05:00 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Have you pulled the hoses and inspected them internally for deterioration? Also inspect the fittings on the engine, they can get corroded and make it hard to get a good seal.
You may likely have something else going on, but get the leaks tended to.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Just have someone do a coolant pressure test when the engine is cold.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Overlanding
Default leak

thing is they did the pressure test several times...

Old 07-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Overlanding
Default Cooling liquid leaking problem

Thanks. With sealants you mean rings around the fitting or sealant tape ?
thanks

Originally Posted by Helmuth van Es
Couple of weeks ago I posted an overheating problem with my Series II TD5 Discovery. Turns out there was a leaking problem after all due to tired clamps around the hoses connected to engine, radiator etc. Well that is what I thought 2 repairs done now with a total of 3 clamps being replaced. One leak I had seen myself and was clearly coming from around one of the replaced clamps. This morning after the second set of clamps was replaced: again coolant leakage. It seems only to occur when the engine is cold not when driving. What to do? Could it be more clamps leaking or something major. It has almost 201k kms on the clock so I am thinking maybe time to trade it in or sell it. But I love it too much . Any suggestions much appreciated.

thanks

Old 07-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

f you are taking your truck back to someone that has supposedly done a number of coolant test and not fixed the problem, why do you trust them?

Old 07-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I would replace all of your coolant hoses, hoses go bad over time and can fail.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:10 AM
Overlanding
Default coolant leaking

I was just about to wonder about that . Thing I have seen them doing the pressure test. They are pretty competent it seems but fact remains, not fixed...

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
f you are taking your truck back to someone that has supposedly done a number of coolant test and not fixed the problem, why do you trust them?

Old 07-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well with 125,000 miles on the truck if you have never had the coolant hoses replaced that is where you really need to start, if the shop did not recommend this then I would find another shop.
When rubber gets old it will swell, shrink, get brittle, really soft, all kinds of stuff.
Replace the hoses, all the radiator hoses as well as the heater hoses.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:32 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a pretty easy fix that you can do just as well as any shop, new tube, new clamp, done. You are lucky you do not have a gasket leak, a hose leak that you can see is a simple almost welcome fix (when compared to other leakage problems).

Quick Reply: Cooling liquid leaking problem