Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct procedure for filling coolant on Disco II?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Correct procedure for filling coolant on Disco II?

ORIGINAL: tempestv8

My challenge is that I have followed the correct procedure for bleeding the cooling system, but without successas I still get the gurgling noise in the heater matrix.What I really don't understand how this procedure can get rid of air that is trapped in the heater matrix - if you look carefully at the routing of the hot water pipes that run through the bulkhead/firewall, you'll see that any air trapped in that location will *NOT* make it way up to the top radiator hose. This is because the routing of the hot water pipes for the heater are going down to the water pump and so air will always be trapped at the top of the heater hose.

It looks like Land Rover have missed an air bleed valve for the heater core circuit.

Can anyone else comment on this, i.e. have a look at the heater hoses and the routing of the pipes and tell me what they think?

Lawrance Lee
Melbourne, Australia
Park with the nose of the trk as high as you can, turn thedefroster to "HOT", remove the radiator cap and loosen any bleed srews. Start the trk and let it idle making sure that thedefroster is blowing hot air, make sure that the thermostat opens, after the t-stat opens it should gurge as the air excapes, tighten the bleed screws starting with the ones in the back first and then last the radiator cap. This make take a half hour.
Park it level and let it sit overnight and then top off the overflow tank in the morning when the engine is cold.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:03 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi mike, I've read your advice and found it incredibly helpful. Unfortunately I did not read this advice prior to capping off my radiator fluid...what happens if I didn't use dexcool and mixed with the existing antifreeze (which I was orange, and this was green but said that it can be mixed with any color)