Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Power Steering Pump Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 05:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Corvette Power Steering Pump Experiment

I think most would agree that the quality of replacement power steering pumps for Disco 2s has gone downhill quite a bit lately. I was looking at a Corvette power steering pump and realized that it actually is pretty similar to the factory Disco 2 pump, so I pulled out a spare bracket and found out that actually the holes line up perfect and the fitting appears to match that on the high pressure line.

However, it sticks out a little bit too far for the belt because the bracket hits the back of the housing. It looks like it would hit the block even it bracket was cut to fit. Oh well - it does appear to be one of those so close, yet so far scenarios.

The following users liked this post:
rynoman1 (03-30-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 07:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Similar to the S10 ps pump mod for D1's, I took a hard look at it a year ago and could not engineer an adaptation without a new bracket and even then the spacing is not right. You can look at the d1 mod in that section of the forum.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Extinct
Similar to the S10 ps pump mod for D1's, I took a hard look at it a year ago and could not engineer an adaptation without a new bracket and even then the spacing is not right. You can look at the d1 mod in that section of the forum.
Yeah, it’s just a little too deep. At the spacing needed for the belt, the back of the pump would be pressing into the front of the head / block. Shame though, it is quite close.

It does fit in front of the 5.3 LS though, and should clear the power steering box, so it should work well for that purpose.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 435 Likes on 276 Posts

Shame it doesn't work. Just got my fifth power steering pump last week to replace four previous turds this year. Rough season for quality Disco parts.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Brandon318
Shame it doesn't work. Just got my fifth power steering pump last week to replace four previous turds this year. Rough season for quality Disco parts.
5 in one year is awful. It does seems that aftermarket Disco parts are not great lately. I put in a Cardone remanufactured Disco power steering pump and 6 months later its still working, but it's getting louder. I have heard from a few people that have had bad luck with Disco power steering pumps in particular.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 435 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
5 in one year is awful. It does seems that aftermarket Disco parts are not great lately. I put in a Cardone remanufactured Disco power steering pump and 6 months later its still working, but it's getting louder. I have heard from a few people that have had bad luck with Disco power steering pumps in particular.
Yeah, this fifth one is working but also not quiet. At this point I would gladly pay dealership prices if 1) an OEM was even available (they're NLA) and 2) it guaranteed me a trouble-free unit. Truly not fun times with these.

Upside is I've gotten quite quick at replacing them haha.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
Yeah, it’s just a little too deep. At the spacing needed for the belt, the back of the pump would be pressing into the front of the head / block. Shame though, it is quite close.

It does fit in front of the 5.3 LS though, and should clear the power steering box, so it should work well for that purpose.
How close are we talking here? And what model 'vette is that off of?

I wonder if a bit of clearancing on the back of the pump could bring it in close enough.

I've also be curious if a different pulley that sits a bit deeper might be an option, or if there wouldn't be enough clearance to the pump for that.

I've been fortunate to not need a replacement PS pump, but from what I've heard we are going to have to find another option.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Alex_M
How close are we talking here? And what model 'vette is that off of?

I wonder if a bit of clearancing on the back of the pump could bring it in close enough.

I've also be curious if a different pulley that sits a bit deeper might be an option, or if there wouldn't be enough clearance to the pump for that.

I've been fortunate to not need a replacement PS pump, but from what I've heard we are going to have to find another option.
I think it's a 2004. I think they are all the same for C5 and C6 models. It's similar in output to the ZF pump on the Disco. I don't see a way to make it work, it's quite a bit longer. The only way I think that it could be made to work would be to revise the entire bracket to push the pump out next to the head so it could extend rearward. Not really worth the trouble.

I have been working on an electric steering pump setup also, but it's big and I need to figure out a mounting setup for that. Should have a little mpg gain going that route as well.

The following users liked this post:
Mntnceguy (03-27-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 06:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Sure should. I ran my '03 with the PS deleted for some time and gained as much as 3mpg. Gained at least 1.5 pretty consistently if I remember right.

Old 03-27-2022, 01:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Sure should. I ran my '03 with the PS deleted for some time and gained as much as 3mpg. Gained at least 1.5 pretty consistently if I remember right.
That's a pretty significant gain. With current gas prices, that would pay for itself fairly quick. That gives me some more incentive to figure it out.

Quick Reply: Corvette Power Steering Pump Experiment