Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Power Steering Pump Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 01:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 435 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Sure should. I ran my '03 with the PS deleted for some time and gained as much as 3mpg. Gained at least 1.5 pretty consistently if I remember right.
What was that experience like? Whenever it's gone out, it feels like I'm going to snap the steering column with the amount of force required to navigate parking lots and the like.

Old 03-27-2022, 01:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

It helps to drain the system of fluid. Pushing fluid thru all the passages in the steering box takes more pressure than you would think.

It's still a 2 handed operation. At a stop there's real work to it. Once you're moving it's not bad. A little bigger steering wheel would help a lot if someone was really interested.

Old 03-27-2022, 03:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
It helps to drain the system of fluid. Pushing fluid thru all the passages in the steering box takes more pressure than you would think.

It's still a 2 handed operation. At a stop there's real work to it. Once you're moving it's not bad. A little bigger steering wheel would help a lot if someone was really interested.
It's all about turning while rolling.. My buddy with a new to him 72 Ford pickup has a lot of learning to do..

Old 03-30-2022, 03:21 PM
Mudding
Received 101 Likes on 60 Posts

Came across this lil setup, seems like a viable way to get rid of our power steering pumps, and upgrade to something more reliable, while freeing up some HP and gas mileage...got me thinking anyway. Anybody know what the connection size is at our pumps? If it's M16x1.5, this might be a pretty easy swap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174881501581

Last edited by Mntnceguy; 03-30-2022 at 03:23 PM. Reason: additions
Old 03-30-2022, 07:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Mntnceguy
Came across this lil setup, seems like a viable way to get rid of our power steering pumps, and upgrade to something more reliable, while freeing up some HP and gas mileage...got me thinking anyway. Anybody know what the connection size is at our pumps? If it's M16x1.5, this might be a pretty easy swap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174881501581
That is similar to what I was thinking with the electric power steering pump. I bought a Volvo electric pump (picture below). I chose the Volvo pump because it is common, relatively inexpensive used, and supposedly has a lot of pumping power. It also it common in swaps (especially Mustang swaps), so it looks like there is growing aftermarket support.

The high pressure fitting appears to be the same as the high pressure line on the Disco. The bigger problem is that there is very limited space to put it. It is a little smaller than a 2 liter soda bottle. Our engine bays just don’t have a lot of free space near the power steering box. My two options for placement seem to be by the brake booster, or maybe in the fender somewhat below the front driver’s side headlight. From what I read, the shorter you keep the lines, the better.

The following users liked this post:
Mntnceguy (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 09:59 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
That is similar to what I was thinking with the electric power steering pump. I bought a Volvo electric pump (picture below). I chose the Volvo pump because it is common, relatively inexpensive used, and supposedly has a lot of pumping power. It also it common in swaps (especially Mustang swaps), so it looks like there is growing aftermarket support.

The high pressure fitting appears to be the same as the high pressure line on the Disco. The bigger problem is that there is very limited space to put it. It is a little smaller than a 2 liter soda bottle. Our engine bays just don’t have a lot of free space near the power steering box. My two options for placement seem to be by the brake booster, or maybe in the fender somewhat below the front driver’s side headlight. From what I read, the shorter you keep the lines, the better.

I'm gonna have to look into that Volvo pump, can I ask what model it's out of? Looks like it is a simple 4 wire hook up style as well, super easy to wire up!

I was thinking I'd remove the air box, mount it there, and move the air intake up a bit where the old PS res was, basically switch their positions. I have already removed the air box and use a 3.5" tube with a 10" conical filter as my original stuff was broken when I got it (thanks Alex_M to for the idea). If I was to shorten my intake up a bit and rotate it, maybe use a 90 degree elbow, the filter would dang near sit right in front of the intake hole in the fender (maybe even add a small reverse air scoop in the hood on that side to get some nice cold air intake). Seems like there'd be plenty of room for an electric PS pump where the air box was, with a fairly short run for the hoses. I'm hearing from you guys that there is a problem getting good rebuilt pumps these days, and new ones are unobtanium, besides which they were kinda not that reliable to begin with. So for the cost of about $300 for the expensive route, cheaper if you know where to go, the whole problem can be eliminated with parts that have a much better track record. I see a new mod in my near future, at least if my pump gets any noisier, or any leakier, lol

Old 03-31-2022, 06:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Mntnceguy
I'm gonna have to look into that Volvo pump, can I ask what model it's out of? Looks like it is a simple 4 wire hook up style as well, super easy to wire up!

I was thinking I'd remove the air box, mount it there, and move the air intake up a bit where the old PS res was, basically switch their positions. I have already removed the air box and use a 3.5" tube with a 10" conical filter as my original stuff was broken when I got it (thanks Alex_M to for the idea). If I was to shorten my intake up a bit and rotate it, maybe use a 90 degree elbow, the filter would dang near sit right in front of the intake hole in the fender (maybe even add a small reverse air scoop in the hood on that side to get some nice cold air intake). Seems like there'd be plenty of room for an electric PS pump where the air box was, with a fairly short run for the hoses. I'm hearing from you guys that there is a problem getting good rebuilt pumps these days, and new ones are unobtanium, besides which they were kinda not that reliable to begin with. So for the cost of about $300 for the expensive route, cheaper if you know where to go, the whole problem can be eliminated with parts that have a much better track record. I see a new mod in my near future, at least if my pump gets any noisier, or any leakier, lol
It’s out of an S40, but they were in a whole bunch of models from the mid 2000s on. It actually says FoMoCo on it - I’m guessing it was another common Ford part used in a bunch of stuff. Unfortunately where you suggest putting it I think it will still be too high without cutting a hole in the sheetmetal under the airbox. The pump is probably a foot tall or more and has to be mounted vertically.

The connections are battery power, ground, and 12V ignition/run signal. The pump has its own relay and only needs a fuse in the power line. The pump normally would use CANBUS, but without the CANBUS it defaults to 70 percent power. There are some people working on an interface to allow for variable power with the pump.

The big questions I still have about it are that I wonder if it will have enough power to turn heavy off-road Disco tires. Also, I wonder if it is going to be loud. I may rig it up in a temporary setup to see what it is like before going to the trouble of mounting.

I’ll plan on setting up a new thread for it once I get a little further along.

The following users liked this post:
Mntnceguy (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 09:50 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
It’s out of an S40, but they were in a whole bunch of models from the mid 2000s on. It actually says FoMoCo on it - I’m guessing it was another common Ford part used in a bunch of stuff. Unfortunately where you suggest putting it I think it will still be too high without cutting a hole in the sheetmetal under the airbox. The pump is probably a foot tall or more and has to be mounted vertically.

The connections are battery power, ground, and 12V ignition/run signal. The pump has its own relay and only needs a fuse in the power line. The pump normally would use CANBUS, but without the CANBUS it defaults to 70 percent power. There are some people working on an interface to allow for variable power with the pump.

The big questions I still have about it are that I wonder if it will have enough power to turn heavy off-road Disco tires. Also, I wonder if it is going to be loud. I may rig it up in a temporary setup to see what it is like before going to the trouble of mounting.

I’ll plan on setting up a new thread for it once I get a little further along.
That's good info to know, I didn't realize they were quite that tall. Looks like version 2 of that same pump has a divorced reservoir, making it a bit shorter, maybe?

I went out and measured how much vertical room is in that area, closest to the radiator from high spot in the lower metal to the top of the radiator cover is 12"+, and by the fender side it's about 10" at the lowest corner. With a little clearancing, or the separated reservoir version of the Volvo pump, seems like it'd be an easy mod. Looks like the original power steering lines might reach easily to that spot as well, both pressure and return, with little to no modification. Maybe wishful thinking, but it sure looks promising when I go out with my tape measure 😜

Nice that that the Volvo pump defaults to 70%, most default to about 45%. I'd like to think these would be plenty powerful enough to operate our steering gear, most rack and pinion systems operate at higher pressures than old steering gear style do anyway, and we really only need assist at low speeds. Again, maybe wishful thinking, but it sure seems to add up on "paper". 🤔

Last edited by Mntnceguy; 04-01-2022 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 04-02-2022, 12:32 PM
Mudding
Received 160 Likes on 73 Posts

Oooo. I like the idea of an electric pump. Mine pump has been nothing but trouble - replaced several times and still the wheel is hard to turn.

I was poking around looking at options and found this pump from a Nissan Pathfinder. I wonder if it might fit where the air box is.

Old 04-02-2022, 01:22 PM
Mudding

That one looks to be orientated better, but the connection for the high pressure line looks to be different. I wonder if it may be hard to connect up without something like special lines? I've seen a few pumps that lay down like that, but that style connection always steers me away. Maybe somebody else knows of an easy work around?

Quick Reply: Corvette Power Steering Pump Experiment