Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of repairing a cracked flex plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of repairing a cracked flex plate

My intermittent ticking is much louder under the car than outside or under the hood. I disconnected the SAI pump, and no change, not even a code/check engine light. THe sound is mainly under the car especially when you listen behind the front tires ruther than underneath the car in the front, which makes me think I have a cracked flex plate.

The ticking was much more audible today when the RPM was droping after I reved to 2000 rpm and tan let go the gas while the car was in park. It becomes intermittent when the RPM has dropped to baseline. And all of this after the car has warmed up.

This type of repair is way behind my abilities, so I was wondering:
1. how much will it cost me to have it fixed?
2. What will happen if I don't fix it?
Reading the forum indicates that slipped sleeves could be left alone, what about a cracked flex plate?

Old 01-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cost to repair would not be cheap. The transmisson has to come out. Looking at quite a few hrs labor. Price could vary moderatly from one mechanic to another so I wouldn't want to give a ballpark estimate.

BTW; I had to replace the trans in my '98. Labor to pull the old trans and put the "new" one in was in the ballpark of $700.

Last edited by kenk; 01-29-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:48 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

flexplates dont crack and if they did they would cause weird crankshaft issues. are you sure its not a broken exhaust or bad lifter? Get a second opinion on this. Seriously.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I believe one person had a problem with there flex plate out of all the 03-04 owners who have posted on this board trying to track down ticks. You can certianly inspect the flex plate without removing the tranny. You might want to investigate your tick a little more before replacing the flex plate.

Last edited by drowssap; 01-30-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:53 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
I believe one person had a problem with there flex plate out of all the 03-04 owners who have posted on this board trying to track down ticks....
^You are right, there was not too long ago. EDIT : FOUND IT ---> https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-solved-43687/

But I agree about getting second opinions before you dive in.

Last edited by yloDiscoII; 01-30-2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Found link..
Old 01-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Rock Crawling

I might have jumped the gun. Extensive reading through the ticking posts, made me believe that my problem might be the cracked plate, no mechanik has told me that. Since the oil pan needs to be removed to inspect the flex plate, I was thinking of fixing it at the same time it is diagnosed. Unfortunately there was no ticking when I took it to my local indy, and he told me what I am hearing is normal engine sound. I have noted that the car is running much smoother now, after cleaning and properly connecting the MAF sensor plug ( which was not properly connected). So may be, every thing was related to this. I have no more hesitation and no more codes. Drove it again for around 200miles both free way and city and no problems. Like Spike 555 said "Just drive the damn thing and dont worry about it, unless the temp needle is above the 3/4 mark or the oil light is on...who cares? " This is what I am going to do after fixing the oil filter housing and transfer box leak. Otherwise I might be just chasing my tail.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:12 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Flex plates do crack, not often but it does happen and if your is cracked, one day when you want to start your engine, the plate will fail and your starter will break out a section of the plate so you can no longer start your truck.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:09 PM
1st Gear

hello im new to the site and cant figure out how to post my own thread but ive gone through posts to try and solve my problems but i am at a unusual problem i changed my starter because of a very unusual loud sound when starting and the truck ( a 02 discovery II ) was shaking a bit trying to start i replaced starter to a new problem the starter spins freely and the engine dose not turn over im being told its a flex plate but am wondering what else it could be perhaps a ring gear or flywheel. the truck has set a while due to other problems the engine would turn over but would not start the three amigos and the blinking green m and s lights all were illuminated on the dash i purchased a abs amigo to solve amigo problem checked the xyz switch pulled it apart it was good i changed the crank shaft position sensor and got it to start but then this problem happened i would appreciate any assistance or insite

sincerely
very frustrated rover lover

Old 01-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
flexplates dont crack and if they did they would cause weird crankshaft issues. are you sure its not a broken exhaust or bad lifter? Get a second opinion on this. Seriously.
A'HEM!! Yes, they do crack. I had a cracked flex plate. Cost I paid to have it repaired...I think ~550 plus 45 for the plate. Here's my thread on it.

CLICK ME

Name:  2011-09-16_14-35-01_463.jpg
Views: 6856
Size:  184.1 KB

Name:  2011-09-16_14-35-16_195.jpg
Views: 7004
Size:  174.8 KB

Name:  2011-09-16_14-35-25_702.jpg
Views: 6907
Size:  192.7 KB

Last edited by coors; 01-26-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by hhalimi
I might have jumped the gun. Extensive reading through the ticking posts, made me believe that my problem might be the cracked plate, no mechanik has told me that. Since the oil pan needs to be removed to inspect the flex plate, I was thinking of fixing it at the same time it is diagnosed. Unfortunately there was no ticking when I took it to my local indy, and he told me what I am hearing is normal engine sound. I have noted that the car is running much smoother now, after cleaning and properly connecting the MAF sensor plug ( which was not properly connected). So may be, every thing was related to this. I have no more hesitation and no more codes. Drove it again for around 200miles both free way and city and no problems. Like Spike 555 said "Just drive the damn thing and dont worry about it, unless the temp needle is above the 3/4 mark or the oil light is on...who cares? " This is what I am going to do after fixing the oil filter housing and transfer box leak. Otherwise I might be just chasing my tail.
There is an inspection plate you can peek in to view the flex plate. It's visible through the round hole on the bell housing. You hould be able to see if it's cracked by looking through the inspection plate, W/O removing the oil pan. Read my thread and PM me w/ any questions. But, to be 100% certain it's recommended to remove the oil pan.

Last edited by coors; 01-26-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Cost of repairing a cracked flex plate