Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple tech questions: Brake pulsating and exhaust gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 11:41 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Cool A couple tech questions: Brake pulsating and exhaust gaskets

AB sent the correct booster so I successfully installed it in the truck. During the process I noticed a plastic tube that's disconnected from something and I cant figure out what or where.
Lost connection - YouTube

Took the Disco for a test drive and the truck still sounds like **** so I think I installed the exhaust to manifold gasket incorrectly. It is a new gasket I ordered from AB: Land Rover Exhaust Gasket (Same Fit As Genuine Part # ETC4524) - Land Rover Engine Parts

One side of the gasket has the folded over creases while the opposite side of the gasket is flat. What side should face up towards the engine?
Name:  IMAG0544_zpsdf0ae849.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  55.5 KB
Name:  IMAG0543_zps1927ab73.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  42.3 KB

Also noted during the test drive that the brake pedal pulsates while being compressed and the pedal is not as tight or immediately responsive as you would expect considering the recent brake work done on the truck. Although the brakes do work and the brake light went out, I expect they should be better. The front calipers are new. Brake booster and master cylinder are new. The rotors and pads were done less than a year ago although the rear end pads are already getting thinner but still enough life left in them for the season. Brake system was bleed properly by DAP. When I removed the former booster and installed the new I did NOT disconnect any of the brake lines, I just carefully raised up the master cylinder. ANy thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:44 AM
TReK

This is what the truck sounds like. I thought it would go away once I got the new booster installed but I was wrong.

One other thing worth mentioning about the gasket is that AB sent me 2 of these gaskets. Im not sure if the extra is just a spare or if both are suppose to be fitted together and installed.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

the gasket has no top or bottom,either side up is ok.
the tube is a vent line off of the front differential, just fastens to the firewall

Last edited by XCELLER8; 10-12-2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 10-12-2013, 10:48 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
the gasket has no top or bottom,either side up is ok.
the tube is a vent line off of the front differential, just fastens to the firewall
Thank you for responding. In any case I examined the exhaust pipe to manifold area where I installed the gasket and air is spewing out from where the gasket is located so something is not right. Either I did not tighten the nuts enough or I tightened them to much and broke the gasket. That must be the cause of the loud noise. Unfortunately I do not have a torque tool that tells you how many foot pounds of torque your applying. Thanks again for the response.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the exhaust apart again and make sure there is nothing on the flanges. Then put some Permatex Ultra-Copper on both surfaces. Sandwich the gasket in the middle and torque to PFT.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like your rotors are warped.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:55 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spike555
Sounds like your rotors are warped.
Very possible.... although I did replace all the rotors and pads less than a year ago with the cheap Atlantic British brake rebuild kit. But during that time my booster was bad and i do recall the rotors being heated up to the point that it hurt to touch them. So I think driving around with a bad booster did a number on the rotors causing them to heat up more then they are designed to take. Sigh the brake saga continues. Ill be upgrading to the drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic brakes very soon and still have to install the SS brake lines. I should have all that in plus the new tires before winter hits. For now I do have brakes, the booster works well and I have enough life left on the pads to get me by for another month.

This experience with my D2 has really been a learning curve for me. Ive made alot of mistakes along the way and its costing me $$$$ but in the end I will walk out of it with a nice vehicle and a wealth of knowledge.

I fixed the loud noise my Disco was making, the noise was the result of me not properly tightening my exhaust pipe back up. The gasekt comes with 3 studs, one end of the stud is longer than the other end. The shorter end is suppose to be inserted into the exhaust bolt hole and the nut secured from below. I did it backwards with one of the 3 bolts so the nut would not tighten all the way. Had to replace all 3 of the nuts and 1 bolt before the pipe sealed properly. Vehicle sounds alot better now. I did pull up one pending code (P0150) in the midst of securing the gasket for the 3rd time but I cleared it and did a 10 minute test drive. So far the code has not come back and the vehicle sounds alot better. I gasekt is right beside one of the 02 sensors so Im thinking that the lose exhaust pipe leaking out air triggered the code. Thank god for the Ultraguage! Its nice to be able to read off the codes right away and diagnose them on my own without having to drive to autozone.

Now I just gotta get air in the tires, refit the spare and Ill be ready for registration and inspection. Thanks very much guys for the help.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:02 PM
TReK

Regarding the brake lines, is it safe to operate the vehicle for normal commuting considering the 2" lift I just installed? Will the increased height break the standard length brake lines? I have the new extended SS lines and fully intend on using them, but I wanted to wait until its time to upgrade the rotors/pads before I tackle the lines. I just recently had the brake system properly bleed with new fluid to so Im hoping that will buy me some time. Again I wont be doing any off-roading for awhile.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:56 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Regarding the brake lines, is it safe to operate the vehicle for normal commuting considering the 2" lift I just installed? Will the increased height break the standard length brake lines? I have the new extended SS lines and fully intend on using them, but I wanted to wait until its time to upgrade the rotors/pads before I tackle the lines. I just recently had the brake system properly bleed with new fluid to so Im hoping that will buy me some time. Again I wont be doing any off-roading for awhile.
Did you install the +2 inch shocks? If you didn't you'll be fine. If you did, and you stay on the road you should also be ok. But don't do any wheeling until you get the new lines on. I have standard length with my OME lift but my shocks are stock length so I'm fine.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:46 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by bballjames
Did you install the +2 inch shocks? If you didn't you'll be fine. If you did, and you stay on the road you should also be ok. But don't do any wheeling until you get the new lines on. I have standard length with my OME lift but my shocks are stock length so I'm fine.

Ive got the full TeraFirma 2" HD lift installed, coils shocks and damper.

Quick Reply: A couple tech questions: Brake pulsating and exhaust gaskets