Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Spring? New Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 09:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Cracked Spring? New Suspension

Not sure when it happened but I think I may have cracked or fractured a spring in my 04 Disco. The whole car leans slightly toward the passenger side, especially in front. I measured the distance between the ground and the highest point on the wheel trim arches. The measurements in the back were equal but the front left was about 3/4 inches lower than the front right.

The suspension is 12 years old at this point and the shocks are worn out so I decided that I will be getting new coils and shocks all around. I have done a bit of research and have my eyes on the Terrafirma 2" kit from lucky8. I don't have an aftermarket front bumper and usually don't carry an excessive amount of cargo either. So my question is, what kits do you recommend besides the terrafirma? Also, with the lift, would you recommend a steering dampener? I would say my budget is around $500-$550.

p.s. I have owned my disco for about 4 months now and have had no real issues whatsoever. I am very young (18) and have been enjoying every second of my LR ownership since the day I bought it. This car has taken me places that I could have never imagined a vehicle traversing. I am very fortunate to have these forums as a major resource and am proud to be a part of the LR family.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by HBW1020
Not sure when it happened but I think I may have cracked or fractured a spring in my 04 Disco. The whole car leans slightly toward the passenger side, especially in front. I measured the distance between the ground and the highest point on the wheel trim arches. The measurements in the back were equal but the front left was about 3/4 inches lower than the front right.

The suspension is 12 years old at this point and the shocks are worn out so I decided that I will be getting new coils and shocks all around. I have done a bit of research and have my eyes on the Terrafirma 2" kit from lucky8. I don't have an aftermarket front bumper and usually don't carry an excessive amount of cargo either. So my question is, what kits do you recommend besides the terrafirma? Also, with the lift, would you recommend a steering dampener? I would say my budget is around $500-$550.

p.s. I have owned my disco for about 4 months now and have had no real issues whatsoever. I am very young (18) and have been enjoying every second of my LR ownership since the day I bought it. This car has taken me places that I could have never imagined a vehicle traversing. I am very fortunate to have these forums as a major resource and am proud to be a part of the LR family.
I got terrafirma a few years ago, and I had the exact same issue you did. But if I was doing it again I might look at RTE.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Honestly, I would recommend RTE or Old Man Emu. The ~4 year old Terrafirma springs on my truck have developed a considerable amount of rust. Likewise for the shocks. Granted I live in the NorthEast sector of the States, but come on:..

I'm considering pulling the Terrafirma's off and replacing with RTE springs and Fox shocks.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:11 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by coors
Honestly, I would recommend RTE or Old Man Emu. The ~4 year old Terrafirma springs on my truck have developed a considerable amount of rust. Likewise for the shocks. Granted I live in the NorthEast sector of the States, but come on:..

I'm considering pulling the Terrafirma's off and replacing with RTE springs and Fox shocks.
Following up since you mentioned the shocks, I also got TF shocks and a steering stabilizer. They don't leak and haven't rusted, but while shocks don't last forever, mine never gave me a very good ride, new or now.

My springs don't have any rust on them, but where I live we only put salt on the table.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:00 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I ran Brittpart HD 2" lift brings for 6 years. They were excellent. I now have RTE 3: lift springs in my truck and they are even more excellent.

The RTE springs are excellent for smooth ride with a heavy or lite load.

Springs are really easy to install. I would strongly recommend doing the RTE front lower shock mounts when you do this spring job. They allow you to use normals shock and not worry about the little cross piece that holds the bottom of shock...and they give you an extra 1.5" of travel.

http://www.rte-fab.com/products?page...category_id=12

Last edited by toofaroffroad; 11-05-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
I ran Brittpart HD 2" lift brings for 6 years. They were excellent. I now have RTE 3: lift springs in my truck and they are even more excellent.

The RTE springs are excellent for smooth ride with a heavy or lite load.

Springs are really easy to install. I would strongly recommend doing the RTE front lower shock mounts when you do this spring job. They allow you to use normals shock and not worry about the little cross piece that holds the bottom of shock...and they give you an extra 1.5" of travel.

http://www.rte-fab.com/products?page...category_id=12
curious, which shock are you running?

Old 11-07-2016, 03:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Which shocks do you recommend with the RTE springs?

Old 11-10-2016, 09:05 PM
Three Wheeling

Update: My rover doesn't lean anymore! At first I was sure that I had cracked a spring but about a week has passed and it looks good as new. I had gone on an off road excursion the day before and must have "stretched out" the springs during a cross axle. Still interested in lifting it though. Deciding between RTE or TF. Thank you to everyone who replied to this thread for expanding my understanding on the different lifts.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:09 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by HBW1020
Update: My rover doesn't lean anymore! At first I was sure that I had cracked a spring but about a week has passed and it looks good as new. I had gone on an off road excursion the day before and must have "stretched out" the springs during a cross axle. Still interested in lifting it though. Deciding between RTE or TF. Thank you to everyone who replied to this thread for expanding my understanding on the different lifts.
What part of the world are you in?

Old 11-10-2016, 09:13 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
What part of the world are you in?
Western North Carolina

Quick Reply: Cracked Spring? New Suspension