Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank sensor

I have my Disco at the shop, it wouldn't start the other day. They said it is the crank sensor, i believe. They said Part is about 90 bucks, For a grand total of about $350 bucks.

Price seems a bit steep to me. I want to see if i can do it myself, i cant find it in the RAVE manual. Anyone have any pictures where it's at and what it takes to change one?

Thanks All

2002 Disco 2 4.0 liter

Last edited by aarons02; 04-26-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: wrong word, cam is crank
Old 04-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The crank position sensor is like that price, and kills sparks.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-27-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If you've done any car work, you can do it. But it isn't fun. It's underneath the left (driver's side) exhaust manifold and the electrical connector is on the back of the engine. And it's a bit fiddly - there're spacers that have to go on the way they came off.

If you google 'rover discovery crankshaft position sensor' you'll find lots of info about it.

The shop will probly charge you $100 for diagnosis, so you're saving 350-90-100=$160 by doing it yourself. I think some people would rather pay $160 than do it again.

Last edited by dr. mordo; 04-26-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:07 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

not on my computer right now so I cant upload pics but what i can tel you is to invest in a super long *** pair of needle noise pliers and some grease which is safe on the skin. Generally not a difficult task to perform on your own, but the location is what makes it so time consuming and frustrating. You will need to locate the crank position sensor then remove 2 tiny nuts, 2 screws, 2 spacers and a cover which conceals the actual sensor. That part is easy. Next you will have to unplug the sensor from the harness which is located way up on the back side of the engine. You will be able to reach your arm up there to unplug the old sensor but you WILL NEED the extended length needle noise pliers to hold the harness still while you push up the new sensor and connect it to the harness. That is the hardest part of this job. Part of the exhaust system is directly in the way so you can either drop the exhaust (add another hour or more of work) or just apply a good amount of grease to your arm so that when you reach it up past the exhaust, the grease will lubricate your arm and will make reaching all the way up a little bit easier and less painful.

Do a google search to find pictures and read as much info as possible before you begin the job. If you can manage to do it yourself you will save a good amount of $$$. Best luck to you.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Attached please find pages from Bosch ECU manual, and pix of location. The pieces in photo come off. Plug in connector and let it dangle before mounting. Goes block+sensor+ spacers+ nuts. Take a good look at it when taking apart. If you have it spaced wrong it won't crank.

Attached Thumbnails Crank sensor-8670811103_049c59c01a.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 ckp.pdf (1.55 MB, 109 views)
File Type: pdf
d2 ckp wires.pdf (136.5 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-26-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought my CKPS sensor from local parts store $50 or so year ago I think, and gave up on trying to figure out the best way to get up in there and called AAA and had it taken to a local import shop that I called who had done a few of these type of interesting jobs on my old Mercedes, and they put it in for $70. Well worth it to me. My back did not like trying to get in position to get my arms/hands up in there and hold things, when I could not exactly see or feel what I was doing in this case. The sketches of how this is done seems easy enough, but for me it was not. I have tackled other things on my rover, but some of these mystery positions that you have to be able to get into may have been for some of my younger days LOL!

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 04-26-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runs now?

Thanks for the good info all.

I have just found out the reason the sensor failed is because i have a leaking head gasket that has been leaking on the sensor area, ouch! But heads are for another post coming soon. lol So i have it at home now.

It is running now. But the sensor and the plug got pretty wet.

My question is; if it runs, is the sensor still good?

Maybe sensor failed just because the plug got wet and caused the sensor to fail? Or should i just not mess around and swap it out.

Again

thanks guys

Old 04-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The sensor usually "acts-up" before it goes for good.If it were me,I would replace it just to be safe.It should be cheaper than calling a tow truck.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Agreed. I'm actually currently doing mine for the 3rd time now. First time I was at a car wash and left me stranded for an hour. Then it died and I needed it towed home. I replaced it, it ran until I brought it to the car wash yesterday... And it died again. Replaced it this AM, drove the truck for another hour - now, again, it left me stranded.

Replace it, for sure, or it will leave you stranded, again.

Dave

Old 04-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Oh, and here's a thread on mine. I did update pics too for the sensor swap on the other thread that was linked in there for repairing it.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...carwash-57648/

Dave

Quick Reply: Crank sensor