Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed in a blizzard, new bumber?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:59 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashed in a blizzard, new bumber?

Hi everyone,
The last day of the year I took my wife and dogs to Hakuba ski resort (Nagano 1998 winter olympics). I'm from Texas and have no experience driving in heavy snow. Anyway these were whiteout type conditions and I couldn't see 40 yards in front me. I actually crashed twice. The second one was the major of the two. The snow on the side of the road kind of sucked me in and my reaction was to hard turn to the other side which put the car in a side. I was lucky another car wasn't coming the opposite direction. I bounced off two steel rails pretty hard. I just want to say.... I hit the first rail hard enough where the snow 50 meters infront of me flew off the rail, not a scratch. The second hit was at a harder angle and the front right body panel was bent in, the orange light housing popped out and there is a 5 inch chunck out of the bumber. I bent the body panel on site back to shape. It has a tear in the steal where it bolts on to the body.

My questions are..... will a 2003 bumber fit on my 1999 SII?
How much am I looking at for the bumber and plastic bit under the headlights (not painted)
The right singnal lamp is out from the crash and the right side blinks twice as fast, if I change the bulb will it go back to normal?

Old 01-02-2008, 05:25 AM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Crashed in a blizzard, new bumber?

The right singnal lamp is out from the crash and the right side blinks twice as fast, if I change the bulb will it go back to normal?
Provided the bulb holder and the wiring isn't damaged so that the new bulb can work when you replace the broken one then yes it'll go back to normal.

Tip for driving in the snow: 4 wheel drive only helps keep you going it won't help you slow down or stop, you've got the same amount of braking as any other car out there! Drive at a speed that normally you would think of as unreasonably slowly and you'll be amazed at how little drama there is to driving in the snow

Cheers,