Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy starting situation

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy starting situation

Ok heres the deal.

2001 Discovery II, it has been acting like the battery is dying when I use the key lock/unlock and struggles to unlock the doors. Once inside if I just try to start the truck normally the alarm will go off and I can turn it off with the fob.

OR

Unlock the car with the fob, turn the headlights on and it starts up like a champ....however. If I come to a stop and go when I shift from 1st to second gear the radio/cd will power off and my headlights flicker. Then come back on.

This morning the truck unlocks from the fob at full power, zero problems, Insert the key and it tries to start, starter going strong but no ignition. If anybody has a clue what this is all about you are my hero. I can post a video of it trying to start or pictures of anything that my help a solution, thanks for reading!

Old 03-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

So, go clean and tighten all your grounds and battery cables then go to a local parts store for a free charging system test. You will need voltage from 13.6 to 14.4 volts, let us know what you find.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:58 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Psichotic
Ok heres the deal.

2001 Discovery II, it has been acting like the battery is dying when I use the key lock/unlock and struggles to unlock the doors. Once inside if I just try to start the truck normally the alarm will go off and I can turn it off with the fob.

OR

Unlock the car with the fob, turn the headlights on and it starts up like a champ....however. If I come to a stop and go when I shift from 1st to second gear the radio/cd will power off and my headlights flicker. Then come back on.

This morning the truck unlocks from the fob at full power, zero problems, Insert the key and it tries to start, starter going strong but no ignition. If anybody has a clue what this is all about you are my hero. I can post a video of it trying to start or pictures of anything that my help a solution, thanks for reading!
Typically it only takes 8volts to crank an engine over, however most of the computers and electronics that operate/actuate things need at least 12 volts. If your battery isn't taking a good charge from the alternator or the alternator isn't supplying enough power to be able to power the vehicle while it is running and charge the battery then you will be constantly loosing power to run things and the vehicle will cut power to things to keep itself running. Definitely get the battery and alternator tested. Just make sure you get it tested by somebody that actually knows how to do the proper tests so you don't buy parts you don't need.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

this thread is over 4 years old..

Old 09-20-2016, 11:20 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
this thread is over 4 years old..
just noticed that, thanks!