Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

curiosity question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016 | 08:55 PM
|
4wd Low
Default curiosity question

Is it just me or do others think that parts for discos are way over priced?
I could understand if these vehicles were rare but I think they're far from rare.

Old 12-22-2016 | 09:27 PM
Pro Wrench

So true. I keep an eye on pull a part and eBay all the time. It's all based off the quality you want and what you want to spend. Hell parts aren't cheap for any vehicle nowadays. What parts are you looking for?

Old 12-22-2016 | 09:45 PM
Camel Trophy

They are absurdly priced. I have bought whole rovers for parts. Just for myself. Ridiculous.

Except for the body parts I am always looking for domestic substitutes.

Old 12-22-2016 | 10:06 PM
TReK

The key to owning, maintaining and sourcing affordable new parts for your older Rover is "research". Google is an excellent tool with a wealth of information on most all the common issues and diy fixes as well as sourcing parts by simply inputting part number.

When it comes to buying parts, dont assume you need to buy from the first webpage/online vendor that pips up. Instead take to time to check out multiple websites and compare prices. Also dont assume you have to buy locally or from Rovers North or Atlantic British. Dont be afraid to extend your search across the pond.

John Craddock has the best prices for new genuine parts that Ive seen so far.

Land Rover Parts, Spares & Accessories

Old 12-22-2016 | 10:35 PM
Pro Wrench

I'll second that. Heck even with shipping and vat, it's still cheaper than Atlantic British or rovers north. I start my search with google, then the classifieds on here, then eBay. Usually I've had good luck with that and pull a parts locally. Even some scrapyards sell on eBay but you can call them on the phone n do it cheaper via straight PayPal since no eBay fees.

Old 12-24-2016 | 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by ausdisco
Is it just me or do others think that parts for discos are way over priced?
I could understand if these vehicles were rare but I think they're far from rare.
It's nothing to do with rarity, LR genuine parts have always been OTT on price. Better than using Ebay try Googling them directly as Bearmach and Allmakes are adequate aftermarket replacements. LR Direct is a good source for aftermarket and genuine spares and better still if you use their part number catalogue.

Old 12-25-2016 | 12:20 PM
Camel Trophy

Before you buy any car parts off of ebay, verify first with the ebay seller if the parts are new or used if it's not stated in the description.
I got "had" by an ebay seller because he had a picture of a new part but when I received it was and used part. When I addressed this to the seller, he said I should have asked first before purchasing.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 12-25-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-25-2016 | 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
Before you buy any car parts off of ebay, verify first with the ebay seller if the parts are new or used if it's not stated in the description.
I got "had" by an ebay seller because he had a picture of a new part but when I received it was and used part. When I addressed this to the seller, he said I should have asked first before purchasing.
That sounds like a rip off artist to me. It is the responsibility of the seller to accurately describe the goods being sold and not the purchaser to ask the right questions. I have had dozens of issues with Ebay vendors failing to deliver or very late deliveries. If you feel you've been ripped off contact Ebay via the resolution centre and let them sort it.

Old 12-25-2016 | 07:30 PM
|
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
So true. I keep an eye on pull a part and eBay all the time. It's all based off the quality you want and what you want to spend. Hell parts aren't cheap for any vehicle nowadays. What parts are you looking for?
The parts I need have been ok on price as in engine and cooling system parts it's more along the likes of bumpers and smaller parts.....just surprised me is all

Old 12-25-2016 | 11:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
Thus why I've not bought anything from eBay for many years and do not plan on it pretty much ever again. It's nothing but scam artists, cheap junk, overpriced nonsense, and a lot of useless games like the above as opposed to a place of commerce. Despite all it's pitfalls, I very much prefer CL or just paying the money to get from a reputable retailer or a private seller.

Quick Reply: curiosity question