Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder 6 & 4 misfiring and lack of power

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 05:59 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by don1
Hi,
Originally Posted by don1

I thought I would share some of my Disco 2 V8 issues and solutions with you...

Lack of Power...I was suffering from a lack of power up hill - it felt like a missfire...I consulted these forum pages and the comments seemed to suggest Plugs, Leads and Mass Air Flow Meter...

I changed the plugs and leads...I changed the leads without having to strip the intake off...just lie on top of the engine and feel...(I tried using a web cam on a lap top but could not see much) this took less than 1 hour. No real improvement...Just changed the MAF senso and the car is like a racing machine...all issues seem fixed...this leads me on to...

Auto Shifting Issues...I was convinced that the auto box was not changing up to top when it should...it would only shift up to top at approx. 2,500 RPM / 55MPH. Once there it would lock in top and then it would stay there even down to 1,300 RPM...I was convinced it should shift earlier if not under load. I serviced the box changing all the fluid twice and replacing the filter after removing the sump - this is an easy job and the sump removal, clean and filter change / refit only took 30 mins...No change to the shifting of the box in to top! I changed the MAF sensor (see above) and suddenly the box shifts better in all gears and finds top at lower revs and when not under load! For $120 from a LR dealer this change of MAF is a must - treat this item as a consumable - I will!

I hope these comments help.

Good news, I read the above thread & I ask a friend of mine to give me a new MAF
sensor to try it on. Now my disco is moving smooth like a silk.

Thanks all and special thanks to don1