Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Misfire on 5 & 6 with Spark

Old 07-20-2017, 06:18 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder Misfire on 5 & 6 with Spark

Thanks for having me. I just picked up a Disco 2 with 150k miles. Has a pretty massive oil leak from every gasket that can leak. I bought it without hearing it run to tinker with. I put a battery in it and it started after a littler persuasion. This was only after draining about 14-15 quarts of oil out of it. Yea, you read that right.

Any ways, it had a CEL so I scanned it. Multiple misfires on 5 and 6. Spark plug is sparking on No.6. Looks like it's fouled, but, it's sparking. Should ignite fuel. I think at least. Went ahead and did a compression test on that cylinder. It got 150psi. Seems okay. I haven't checked 5 yet, but, I'm guessing it'll fire.

Any ideas? I already know I have to tear this down on top and bottom to reseal the motor. But, id like to drive it before. Make sure engine is healthy.

I discovered the coil packs are in the worst possible spot. Awesome. Wondering if 5 and 6 are switched and that's why it's misfiring. Hard to tell without a bunch of work. Looks like they are right across from each other on a wiring diagram.

General thoughts? It doesn't appear to have any knocks. So, that's good. Maybe fuel injector is dirty? It sat for 2 years.

Again, thanks for having me and thanks in advance. I can't wait to get this toy running strong. I have plans for this baby.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:19 PM
4wd Low
Old 07-20-2017, 06:47 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Ill have compression test for all 8 if youll work on the engine in time. But with your misfire, it could be just a full tune up including coils since you have not run it for a while. A better gas will do as well and add seafoam.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:57 PM
4wd Low

I definitely plan to do a tuneup. I'll be ordering plugs and wires soon. But, I planned to do the install when I did the valve cover Gaskets. For now, I just want it to run. Since the spark plug is sparking, I figured wires and coil pack is fine.

I'll do a compression test on all cylinders tomorrow.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:32 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Yah, that will run as long as you keep an eye on a blinking SES. That could lead to cats failure. It get more expensive from there. Sure you can start with the plugs. Look at the wires in total darkness if its arching.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:55 PM
4wd Low

I only need it to run well enough to drive a little and test out transmission and transfer case.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

I'd be thinking about *why* it was overfilled with double the maximum amount of oil!

Scenario 1 of many: transmission or transfer case was drained instead of the oil being drained at an oil change shop, so your transfer case is empty and then they added 7 quarts of new oil to the motor.

Scenario 2 of many: shadetree mechanics will overfill the entire motor, including the pistons/cylinders, to break free a seized motor (with a cheater bar).

Scenario 3 = ?!

Old 07-20-2017, 08:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Next, I'd be swapping good spark plugs from #1/2 with your #5/6's to see if your misfire moves or not...anyway gives you free information.

Based on that, you might swap coil pack locations. Still doesn't cost you anything in parts.

Then I'd swap fuel injectors for the same reason. Do any of your misfires move.

Can you smell exhaust in your coolant expansion tank? Are your coolant hoses rock hard with the motor off and cooling down?

Is your old oil milky? Is your new oil milky?

Are you losing coolant?

What are your fluid levels in your transmission, transfer case, front axle, and rear axle (differential)?

Old 07-20-2017, 08:44 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by No Doubt
I'd be thinking about *why* it was overfilled with double the maximum amount of oil!

Scenario 1 of many: transmission or transfer case was drained instead of the oil being drained at an oil change shop, so your transfer case is empty and then they added 7 quarts of new oil to the motor.

Scenario 2 of many: shadetree mechanics will overfill the entire motor, including the pistons/cylinders, to break free a seized motor (with a cheater bar).

Scenario 3 = ?!
Im pretty sure the guy was just a retard. It had a massive oil leak and he didn't check the oil. Just added it constantly.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:56 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by No Doubt
Next, I'd be swapping good spark plugs from #1/2 with your #5/6's to see if your misfire moves or not...anyway gives you free information.

Based on that, you might swap coil pack locations. Still doesn't cost you anything in parts.

Then I'd swap fuel injectors for the same reason. Do any of your misfires move?
Misfire is gone. Cleared codes, drove it for 5 minutes, not back yet.

Can you smell exhaust in your coolant expansion tank? Are your coolant hoses rock hard with the motor off and cooling down?
Doesn't smell like exhaust. They feel normal.

Is your old oil milky? Is your new oil milky?
No. Both the old and new are good.

Are you losing coolant?
Too early to tell. I will do a pressure test at some point. No overheating on the short drive.

What are your fluid levels in your transmission, transfer case, front axle, and rear axle (differential)?
That is secondary to the motor. I'll check and replace all fluids later.