Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D1 vs D2

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
It's "natural" progression for most owners to go from a D1 to a D2 as its the next model up, as many D2 owners will prolly go to a D3.
I don't know. The only thing that makes a DII more appealing than a D1 to me is more leg room. Other than that they are inferior in every way. HDC, ETC and the rest are a negative to me.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:49 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the radius arms better on the DII. They are thicker and the mounting points look stronger.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
I don't know. The only thing that makes a DII more appealing than a D1 to me is more leg room. Other than that they are inferior in every way. HDC, ETC and the rest are a negative to me.
Well, we all have diff feelings Tom, thats what makes the world go round, but trust me there is LOTS more thats better.

To mention the 2 points you bring up, yes HDC can take it or leave it, but the TC is VERY good and will take a D2 anywhere a D1 will go bud.

Other things that may be more specific "Overhere", is rust, the Disco 1 simply falls apart in euro climates. The D2 is put together better in so many ways, which again is just natural progression in design / manufacture over time. Yes both have their faults, but honestly if you had one you really would not look back.

On the road, the D2 is simply MILES better, as Im sure the D3 is again....

Old 02-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Baja

I really have no interest in relying on electronics for off-roadabilty. Just one more thing to fail and leave you stranded, or at best, a lot more difficult to get home.

Of course people will say, "yeah, but mechanicals will fail too", ignoring the fact that a DII (and DIII), even with all the electronics, still has essentially the same mechanicals as a D1. For example, TC doesn't do away with axles and diffs.
Of course, the worse departure angle on a DII won't let it go "anywhere a D1 will go".

Of course, to each their own, but I wouldn't say that buying a DII is a "natural progression" from a D1.

Last edited by antichrist; 02-06-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You dont have to rely on electronics at all. Its an additional feature thats helps it go that little further, agreed, if you go "Out to play" with only TC it could be an issue, but add the CDL and you have the same basic setup + TC.

The small difference in depature angles (which with air is negligable) really does not become an issue tbh. On the flip side the suspension setup is better designed allowing more flex etc and keeping the wheels more in contact with the ground when offroad.

Each to their own as you say.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:41 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Baja

The small difference in depature angles (which with air is negligable) really does not become an issue tbh.
Ah, but then you're relying on something that is a common failure point. There's a reason so many people convert their air setup to coils. Then it's a much greater difference.
On the DIII launch one Land Rover's DIII's had to be towed out of the jungle in Central America because the air system failed and it dropped to the bump stops.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's "natural" progression for most owners to go from a D1 to a D2 as its the next model up, as many D2 owners will prolly go to a D3.
I will agree with this. Hopefully in a few years we can all shop the D3s within the 6-8k price range.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they both overheat....

Old 02-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by agthird
they both overheat....
Not if the cooling system is maintained properly.
They are both easily damaged if they overheat.