Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D1 vs D2

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D1 vs D2

Hello new to the forum and the LR world! Looking at buying a 90's disco to daily drive and weekend four wheel so I pose this questions to all you who know far more than me!!! which is better D1 or D2????? Have done a lot of research and can not really answer this my self so i ask you the real world owners which is it???????????

Old 02-03-2011, 05:12 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

D2 has traction control, harder to work on, has expensive unit bearings, some have CDL (center diff lock..needed offroad on rock)
D1 has no traction control, easier to work on, old school cheap bearings, all have CDL

thats just a few differences

Last edited by NiteTrain; 02-03-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:23 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome! This debate is one that has raged on since Bible times, still with no clear answer...IMHO, neither one is "Better," both have their pros and cons. DII way ahead in the on-road comfort and performance, but DI wins in most off-road categories. I've owned both and I'm split.

Have you read these threads?

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21328

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=28599

Old 02-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Try and find a DII with 200,000 or more miles on the gas engine, almost impossible.
Get a DI.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:05 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Try and find a DII with 200,000 or more miles on the gas engine, almost impossible.
Get a DI.
Because most of them haven't had as much time to get there. If you drive 20,000 miles a year (8,000 over the national avg) it will take you 10 years to get to 200,000 miles. Most DII are just getting there or still a few years away. Give us a chance spike! Of course more DIs have 200,000 miles!!

Get a DII and add CDL if you like refinement. (99-mid 01 ONLY)

Both are great trucks so it really has to come down to what YOU want.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Drifting

Thanx for all the great comment guys!!!!!! Next question should I steer away from a DII that has close to 200,000 on the clock?? I ask Because I've found one right around the corner from me. truck has 192,546

Old 02-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1twisted1
Thanx for all the great comment guys!!!!!! Next question should I steer away from a DII that has close to 200,000 on the clock?? I ask Because I've found one right around the corner from me. truck has 192,546
This really depends on price, what kind of shape it's in, how well it has been maintained, how willing you are to work on it, etc...

If you're willing/able to take on the maintenance yourself and the price is right, then this could potentially still be a good truck despite the higher mileage. Anytime you start getting into a high mileage vehicle, you have to expect that the maintenance level required to keep it on the road is going increase exponentially. (i.e.- In addition to things that break/fail, you're getting into needing to do major service items like replacing the timing chain and thinking about when the last time the head gaskets were changed...)

The more I write, the more I'm re-thinking the above...if you don't know what you're getting yourself into you might be better off holding out for one with 1/2 that many miles...at 192k, I can just imagine that a D2 could just as easily turn out to be a money pit if it hasn't been kept in great shape by the previous owners.

Whatever you decide to buy, be patient and get the truck checked out by a good independent Rover mechanic before buying one. Great trucks can be found here and on the other forums for very reasonable prices. The Rover community is incredibly supportive, and we'll do anything we can to help you get your questions answered and learn about your truck.

Last edited by dcarr1971; 02-04-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Drifting

Thanx from all the great comment guys!!! to answer some questions my drive to work is only 11miles each way.

I'm very mechanically inclined as I build ground support vehicles for the aviation industry so that is not a problem.

I know the question I asked Is a very loaded question in that it's like asking who's better ford or Chevy it a personal preference, but from my research of come to notice that most LR owners have owned Both a DI & DII.

Here's what I Daily drive now which I build from the ground up! as you can see luxury and class is not why I looking for a LR, Guess I'm just getting older and what something more streetable but off-road capable. Will end up selling the beast and starting over with whatever I end up with.

Attached Thumbnails D1 vs D2-dscn1791.jpg  
Old 02-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's "natural" progression for most owners to go from a D1 to a D2 as its the next model up, as many D2 owners will prolly go to a D3.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
It's "natural" progression for most owners to go from a D1 to a D2 as its the next model up, as many D2 owners will prolly go to a D3.
...or, to just buy more Rovers in general...I have a D2, but want a Series III and an LR3 too. Only having 1 Rover complicates things at my house b/c the wife loves it too...LOL