Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D1 Warranty Claim NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:52 PM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D1 Warranty Claim NEED HELP!

I need some help dealing with a warranty company that's denied a legit claim. My issue with my '99 D1 intermittent ticking and random misfire turns out to be failed push rods, so the dealer called my warranty company (Continental). They've denied the claim based on the vehicle height comparing now with a previous claim in May 2006. Their position is that a lift modification moved the height of the vehicle outside the manuf spec range; however, only the original springs and shocks were changed to HD springs and Bilsteins. The dealership even claims this is not a suspension modification and pointed out that HD springs are an option at purchase. I just spoke with the adjuster and he will 'review' the claim again tomorrow with his supervisor.
I have found the vehicle's minimum ground clearance spec: 206 mm or 8.1 inches. If I can produce specs from LR giving the ground clearance range or with HD springs, I'm homefree. May require arbitration though! If anyone can help me with a source I'd be so grateful! I would love sticking it to this warranty company...

Old 02-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: D1 Warranty Claim NEED HELP!

I had a similar issue pop up on my truck, bottom line, I got them to refund my intire $3100 premium instead of going to court.
If you want to call me we can talk about what your possibilities are.
mikeljacobs@comcast.net

Old 02-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

THIS IS WHY YOU NEVER BUY A EXTENDED WARRENTY!!!! THEY GOT YOUR MONEYAND THEY HOLD ALL THE ACES!

Old 02-14-2008, 07:42 PM
8th Gear

Funny thing is the same company replaced both heads and an R&R of the radiator in May 2006...

Old 02-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

They have already spent all the money that they are going to on your trk. They have profit margins and you are going to cut into it. They are in buisness to make money not fix broken cars.
Bottom line, you are going to lose. Sorry, it sucks. Read the fine print and it will tell you the max that they will spend to fix your trk. And that if you make any changes, or do anything that they do not approve they will not cover your claim, and you sighned the paper agreeing to their rules AND gave them money.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Stay calm and patient, If they have fixed it before, you should be ok once they realize the lift didn't cause this. Call Mike in the meantime to get some good advice..

Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 AM
8th Gear

ORIGINAL: Spike555

They have already spent all the money that they are going to on your trk. They have profit margins and you are going to cut into it. They are in buisness to make money not fix broken cars.
Bottom line, you are going to lose. Sorry, it sucks. Read the fine print and it will tell you the max that they will spend to fix your trk. And that if you make any changes, or do anything that they do not approve they will not cover your claim, and you sighned the paper agreeing to their rules AND gave them money.
Spike555 - I can read and here's what the warranty says... the max they will pay on all claims for the life of the warranty is $5500 - they paid $2100 total in May 2006... so you're wrong there! It also states that upkeep and repairs must be made 'within manufacturer specifications' and changing springs from MD to HD is within specs according to LR, so you're wrong there too! The original cost of the warranty was $1900, so I have made a profit on this with the repair made in May 2006. In speaking with an attorney last night, he sees no way I can loose in arbitration... so you're wrong there... again! What is wrong with you??? When some looks for a little help... you might look to Disco Mike and okdiscoguy for an example of how to be cool and constructive.I feel sorry for you that something has happened to make you sonegative... good luck to you! Take Care!

Old 02-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Let me know when you get frustrated enough to want to do something about it and call me as I have already suggested.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:27 AM
8th Gear

Thanks Mike - They've reopened the case and will let me know their positionby noon EST. I'll post what their latest position is and give you a call shortly. Meanwhile, as I figured, the camshaft needs replacing and caused the push rod problems...

Old 02-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bleizit

I need some help dealing with a warranty company that's denied a legit claim. My issue with my '99 D1 intermittent ticking and random misfire turns out to be failed push rods, so the dealer called my warranty company (Continental). They've denied the claim based on the vehicle height comparing now with a previous claim in May 2006. Their position is that a lift modification moved the height of the vehicle outside the manuf spec range; however, only the original springs and shocks were changed to HD springs and Bilsteins. The dealership even claims this is not a suspension modification and pointed out that HD springs are an option at purchase. I just spoke with the adjuster and he will 'review' the claim again tomorrow with his supervisor.
I have found the vehicle's minimum ground clearance spec: 206 mm or 8.1 inches. If I can produce specs from LR giving the ground clearance range or with HD springs, I'm homefree. May require arbitration though! If anyone can help me with a source I'd be so grateful! I would love sticking it to this warranty company...
After market warranties are an absolute joke. Yes, they will approve claims here and there, but they are in the business to make money, not spend it. They will use the most ridiculous loop holes to deny a claim. I had a claim denied because of misspelling. No joke.

I have always told people to open a savings account and put the $2-$5k the warranty would cost in it.

Also, check out rip-off report dot com. I bet you anything the company is all over it. Every after market warranty company is. They are all on the Better Business Bureau site too.

I wish you the best of luck.

Quick Reply: D1 Warranty Claim NEED HELP!