Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 2nd row seatback not latching

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:35 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D2 2nd row seatback not latching

99 D2 rear seat back on the passenger side is not latching into place. Any ideas on how to fix? I have the panels off and see the latches, lubed them but it's still not latching. the bottom of the seat latches but the seat back is not, this is a safety issue for my kids and need to fix asap.

And I've checked, there is nothing blocking the latchs.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: D2 2nd row seatback not latching

I'm not sure if this will help you but I'll relay my experiences.

When we first got our disco, the rear seats would latch to the floor of the vehicle but the seatbacks would not come up, as if they were stuck in the down position. In order to fix this, I removed the plastic covers and sprayed the assembly lightly with PB Blaster, careful to not get that crap everywhere on the upholstery because it stinks to high hell.

This is best accomplished if you take a screwdriver and rotate the seat up onto its' side and clip the screwdriver into the bottom latch of the seat, then you can work on it in an upright position and see what you are doing.

From what I remember, the bottom latches must latch shut in order for the seat backs to move up and lock in the upward position. The little lever on the side of each seat releases the seatback to fold down. There is a square metal block/dowel that slides into position and locks the seatback in the upward position.

After I lubed everything, I exercised the seats many times by slamming them down onto the latches semi-vigorously and then lifting the seat back up and releasing it and putting it back down. Ever since I did this I haven't had any more problems.

I hope this helps you.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:53 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: D2 2nd row seatback not latching

thanks, yea, pretty much been there, had the backs off the seats lubed everything, slamming, etc. I even put on a stronger spring on the latch mechanism which has helped but not resolved. Issue is still there.