Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 Cruise control not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 02:42 PM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

That's a broken button. There are no contacts on the push side.

Old 09-05-2023, 03:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by sdjp
troubleshooting my cruise control (and horn) not working but have a question about the steering wheel set button operation. I understand you pull it towards you to set it however on mine if I push it lightly it returns back to normal but if I push it a bit harder it clicks and stays in place. None of the other left or right steering wheel buttons do this so wondering if I possibly have a broken switch from previous owner mashing the button too hard. Thanks.
i have the same issue with my horn and cruise control not working. fuses all look good. i vaguely remember reading that both the horn and CC going out may be related to the rotary coupler being dirty.

Old 09-06-2023, 07:54 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the quick replies gents; I got the CC partially working by replacing the third brake light bulb. The previous owner had put an LED bulb in there. On the highway when you pull back it sets and holds the speed, which is really all I need. Pushing the button forward doesn't increase the speed but as previously mentioned that's probably from the broken button when going in that direction. The lower right hand button does release/ cancel the speed so all good there.

Horn still not working and am just starting the wiring tracing and how to disassemble the steering wheel to access the rotary coupler but that's for another thread.

The following users liked this post:
jastutte (09-11-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 08:42 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

There are no contacts for pushing the button forwards. That is never supposed to do anything. The button sticking in place is the broken aspect. Pull it towards you again to increase the speed setting.

Old 09-06-2023, 09:28 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks!!

Old 09-11-2023, 01:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by sdjp
Thanks for the quick replies gents; I got the CC partially working by replacing the third brake light bulb. The previous owner had put an LED bulb in there. On the highway when you pull back it sets and holds the speed, which is really all I need. Pushing the button forward doesn't increase the speed but as previously mentioned that's probably from the broken button when going in that direction. The lower right hand button does release/ cancel the speed so all good there.

Horn still not working and am just starting the wiring tracing and how to disassemble the steering wheel to access the rotary coupler but that's for another thread.
this turned out to be my issue with the CC, as well. only it was me who put in the LEDs in the brake lights, not the PO. changed them all back to new incandescent bulbs and CC works as intended.

tested the horns and both tested as not working. bought a new set of two from Lucky8 and will test before installing.

Old 09-11-2023, 02:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 894 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by jastutte
this turned out to be my issue with the CC, as well. only it was me who put in the LEDs in the brake lights, not the PO. changed them all back to new incandescent bulbs and CC works as intended.
I know I have written about this in other threads, but I don't understand the fad to update (not upgrade) to LED turn signals and brake lights. I've had to replace maybe two in 23+ years of ownership. Is this just something the cool kids are doing?

I'm happy to just keep the damn thing running well with no unwanted lights on the instrument panel. (Which has been the case for a while. Fingers crossed; I hope I didn't just jinx myself.)

The following users liked this post:
jastutte (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 03:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

not sure what the cool kids are doing. probably not driving or repairing Discovery 2s.

the LEDs were very cheap and I needed new bulbs. ideally, the LEDs were supposed to be a lifetime fix nothing about them was better than the incandescent bulbs. they were dimmer and ****ed up the CC.

so, old school it is and i'm happy to have the CC back and brighter brake lights.