Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 diesel swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 diesel swap

So here it goes, project time. I have a 2000 LR DII, SE2 Rover I paid $1500 for. The guy I bought it from was told by a "reputable" mechanic that the motor was garbage.... it wasn't, just an intake leak and the normal "marking its territory" oil leaks.

backstory
My wife and I bought do Search and Rescue, I'm the one you see marching up the trail or driving one of (yeah, there's more than 2) my 4x4s on rescue missions. My wife has a bloodhound, a silly one by the name of Stella. Say "hi Stella"

she is now a retired SAR K9, but we're getting another one very soon (it's a week old).

My wife HATES SUVs, and I'm safe when I say that HATE doesn't cover it. Did I mention I have a Hummer? anyway, there has been this on-going discussion about what to use for her SAR activities. She started with her Prius, and did okay with it (my favorite story - SAR Pierce county refused her dog in their 4x4s, so she followed them up to the search area in her Prius).... however, she got stuck in more places and needed a 4x4. She still hates SUVs, but at least now she's saying "she hates the mpg" not the SUV. So she got a BMW 325xi wagon, 5 speed - yes, boys and girls, my wonderful wife likes manual transmissions (no, you can't have her)
Problem continues - she's knocked all the belly pans off the BMW at least twice, with once she lost one forever... so she needs ground clearance. I suggested the Hummer, she said, and I paraphrase for the children, "no."

But she likes Land Rovers.... starting to see where this is headed? So I started looking for a LR that I could make get better mpgs.... they've never imported diesel LRs D2s, however, I'm kind of handy so I suggested we put a diesel in the LR.

She said yes, but it needs to be a manual transmission (good girl!)

This project will be several things:
1) install a 300 TDI and R380 transmission
2) make the LR more dog-friendly (started this by removing the rear seats) by adding cages, etc
3) make the LR more capable off-road (this is a mostly 1" lift and mud tires)
4) install A/C and heat that works when the motor is off
5) fix the stereo so the HK stereo is hooked up correctly
6) fix the heated seats - after all, it's a Land Rover, not some psuedo military vehicle driving by wanna-be cops (hmmm, I said that out-loud).

I've now ordered the motors/transmission from a breaker's yard in N. Wales and it is to be shipped to the US. This will be a long month.

During this time, I've got a few other, non LR projects, that I'll be working on. If you're interested in those, I go by SuperBuickGuy on all forums - google it.

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; 02-05-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

fun stuff. Godspeed
supertdiguy

Last edited by dusty1; 01-28-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribed!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm interested in the heat and A/C that'll work when the engine is off.

And basically the whole project too, should be cool!

Old 01-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Drifting

I forgot to mention one fix. It had the 3 amigo problem when I got it. $125 for a used ABS unit off ebay, and 175 to have it bled and the amigos are banished

As for A/C, semis-truck companies have been at the forefront of sleeper A/C while the motor's off (battery power only - to reduce pollution from trucks idling to run the hvac at truck stops) - I may do that, although, they're $1800 for a system without batteries and 24 volt. Coleman has been trying to break into that market and have a small unit that mounts to the roof - but again, I'm sure they're expensive (I haven't found a price for the unit yet... if you have to ask, you can't afford it...)

Alternatively, I could do a vintage air system, and electric motor to run the compressor and an evaporator in the rear-most sunroof.... more likely than not, that will be the system - that plus some Lithium ion batteries and I'm dialed.... of course, Li batteries are VERY expensive, but I'm hoping to steal a unit from wrecked hybrids (some run their a/c on battery power)....

Old 01-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 01-28-2014, 07:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dan7
we've tried that.... doesn't cool good enough

we've also used cooling pads - those do work, but again, it's a very temporary solution...

Old 01-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

a/c can be done i'm sure all you need to find A 12vt compressor, and seeing the sell all kinids of 12vt refrigerators you should be able to find one.
im sure one could be modified to work using and adjustable thermostatic expansion vale, an factory rear evaporator section.
car manufactures could have changed over to 12vt compressor years ago, freeing up space under the hood and horsepower.
heat is a different story, the most inefficient way to make heat is electrically. so it will suck up big time juice.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've now ordered the motors/transmission from a breaker's yard in N. Wales and it is to be shipped to the US. This will be a long month.

Who in N.Wales have you got the engine from? I have found the 300tdi a wee bit slugish in the Disco2. You also might want to consider going for the Ashcroft up rated transfer grears.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by G Reeves

Who in N.Wales have you got the engine from? I have found the 300tdi a wee bit slugish in the Disco2. You also might want to consider going for the Ashcroft up rated transfer grears.
North Wales Range Rover Spares
https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...3918?ref=br_tf
...and I ordered it through ebay and paid through paypal, if there's a problem, at least I'm covered

sluggish is fine - it's my wife's car... with that said, there are some ways of turning up the motor a bit to make it a bit less sluggish

Quick Reply: D2 diesel swap