Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 diesel swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:35 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Subscribed.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
I assume you've actually verified that you can register a OBDII petrol->diesel conversion vehicle where you live.
A lot of people forget that important step.

There's a good thread on DWeb about a DII -> Isuzu diesel conversion.
And one on Pirate I think about a DII -> R380 conversion, though it might be on Expedition Portal, I can't remember for sure.
was the first step... thanks

I'm changing the registration of the vehicle to diesel. It requires submitting a letter from Land Rover to the State of Washington saying that its emissions meet Canadian emissions. The loophole is that vehicles made until 2000, if they meeting Canadian emissions, can legally be brought into the US. Of course, if I lived in Kalifornia (or NY) those rules start getting fuzzier - however, I live in Washington, and once I get it registered in the US, should I move to Kalifornia or any other **** state, I can get it registered under a "legal in its prior jurisdiction" exception.

So yes, I'm well aware of the rules - but it's always a consideration whenever you're doing a swap. In fact, part of the reason I decided against the Trooper diesel swaps was I couldn't find a new enough Isuzu diesel to make the swap that was emissions exempt or legal (couldn't find means, none were available when I bought my motor).

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; 02-05-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy
funny, someone today told me that my H3 was "huge" compared to a Land Rover Discovery....
Nah, it's a Chevy Colorado closed in. I've leased both, the Colorado Crew Cab, and the H3 for a year each. The H3 was surprisingly offroad capable! Although, I had a problem with it being considered the Wife's Hummer , so got rid of it. Both the Colorado and H3 were Black. Both nice to drive.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy
It requires submitting a letter from Land Rover to the State of Washington saying that its emissions meet Canadian emissions. The loophole is that vehicles made until 2000, if they meeting Canadian emissions, can legally be brought into the US.
I hope they'll do that for you. LRNA is actively working with Customs to prevent import to the US of non-US spec Land Rovers younger than 25 years.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Drifting

why does it feel that every single time I say something here, that it's arguing with someone....

To close the loop, I called LRNA and they offered to do the letter.... I've heard the same thing you've said; but I guess I'm just too stupid to take the internet's word for it and I called them. To say they were helpful would be quite the understatement. The guy I talked to gave me his name, back-door phone number, and the list of what I needed to get the letter. I called him back two weeks later, and he sent me the letter in 3 days. If you don't believe that.... I couldn't careless - you mean nothing to me.

honestly, I'm done - anyone wants to see this build; google my name, it's being broadcasts on other less confrontation sites.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude your bike is insane! Must hit 0-60 in 2-3 seconds providing you can keep up with shifting! Also, I would recommend pirate 4x4, tons of 4wd enthusiasts who love projects like this. My brother put a diesel in his Isuzu a while back too. I also love projects like this, could you PM me where you will start a new thread? I'd like to stay updated.

Last edited by Dane!; 02-05-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Just a note- Tom wasn't saying you couldn't do it, only that he hoped you can get it as LRNA hasn't been very helpful with older vehicles lately.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:24 PM
Drifting

I couldn't care less what Tom meant or said - anymore than the site cares whether I'm here or not

but when someone says 'I have personal experience with X' - you best have better proof than "I read" or "I've heard" to call me a liar. Or put another way, more people are put off by some self-proclaimed expert who couldn't find their disco with both hands and a flashlight - when the reality is they're the ones blowing smoke.

I post so that others can enjoy the stuff that I'm blessed to build - I don't post to listen to some jerk tell me how stupid I am or my other favorite, wait until I've committed before saying some arrogant line about how that choice is dumb.

these sites live and die by people posting pictures of their builds - and I have zero desire to support a site that seems all about taking pot shots at others....
Seriously, I'm out of here

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; 02-05-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I must have missed something...

Old 02-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
I must have missed something...
Yeah, me too. I mean, I see the hissy fit, but other than that...I dunno. <shrug>

Quick Reply: D2 diesel swap