Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 Front & Rear ABS Sensor Difference:

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts
Default D2 Front & Rear ABS Sensor Difference:

I did a bit of wheeling today and my RR ABS sensor tore apart and crumbled at the connector (sensor side). I have a set of spare front D2 ABS sensors, but I just wanted to check and see if I can use the D2 front ABS sensors in the rear of my D2.

If not I'll probably look into some replacements and extensions.

Last edited by Best4x4; 05-28-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:41 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Tore the sensor apart? Wow. How does one to that? In any event, because the hubs for the D2 are the same for the front and the back - except that the "front" hubs have longer sensor wires - I would not think this would be problem. Admittedly, I've never pulled the sensor out of the hub, but I put "front" hubs on the back several years and several thousands of miles ago with no problems (just coiled the extra wire out of the way).

Old 05-28-2017, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by briancbev
Tore the sensor apart? Wow. How does one to that? In any event, because the hubs for the D2 are the same for the front and the back - except that the "front" hubs have longer sensor wires - I would not think this would be problem. Admittedly, I've never pulled the sensor out of the hub, but I put "front" hubs on the back several years and several thousands of miles ago with no problems (just coiled the extra wire out of the way).
It failed right at the plug between the D2's wiring & the actual sensor wiring (old original sensor wiring vs new one piece back to the SLABS unit). It completely crumbled. I flexed a little and I got the 3 amigos instantly. I hooked up my LRII Scanner real fast to pin point the fault. Listed RR sensor failure and sure enough it was blown to bits.

I've flexed before with no issues whatsoever so I'm really thinking it was just old and brittle and any little tension just made it crumble to bits.

If the fronts will work that'll be a sweet deal as the extra length will leave me more slack for future flexing.

I just did a trail fix and spliced the wires together and the 3 amigos never came back on but I am not gonna leave it rigged like that.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:12 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 940 Likes on 632 Posts

I've got fronts on my rear. They're a few inches longer and worked perfectly before my slabs got soaked because of a leak below my windshield.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah I just finished installing it. I just cut off the extra rubber sleeves I didn't need and routed it so the connector sits up on the frame rail with plenty of slack. Cheap and free Rear ABS extensions right there.