Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 Overheat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 04:01 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 Overheat?

This is getting ridiculous. So my FIVE DAY OLD (to me) 2000 D2 was blowing coolant all of a sudden out the overflow two days ago. So of course I never let it get hot and retopped it w straight water after she cooled. Got her home, bled as best I could (terrible bleed layout for SURE) and called it a night. Got up today, ran to parts store for new rad cap. Hoses on top of rad a TAD swollen and DEFINITELY hot, pretty good pressure in overflow tank, but ZERO heat in bottom hose under thermostat! This thing ran like a WATCH till it poured coolant outta overflow hose! Ideas? Odd for all of a sudden unless it IS just bad therm? No smoke or smell from exhaust and no white oil or smell- Please advise! Thanks again everyone!!

Old 02-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Mudding

Please know that I am a newbie with zero mecahnical skills.. I had the same thing happen to mine.. I think you have air in your system.. did you get that "water fall" sound come from the passengr side dash.. look into Spikes bleeding prodedure if you havent already.. and from what I just learned that hose on the bottom of the TStat is supposed to be cool.. its coming from the Rad and mixes 10% cool with the 90% hot in the other hose coming down from res.. Its in the RAVE

Old 02-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Mudding

Heres the Link https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...i-23072/page2/

heres another link that helped me out a lot. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...oo-warm-45901/

PS. It took me more than 2 trys to get ALLL the air out of the system.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:20 PM
4wd Low

Well THAT'S cool- Thanks guys! But why did I all of a sudden get the blowout at the reservoir in the first place? And its still feeling like too much pressure in hoses? No waterfall sound and get HOT HOT air outta vents!

Last edited by MrMayorDA; 02-15-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Mudding

is your electric fan kicking on?? all I know is that I took it to a mechanic that knew NOTHING about the truck and I believe messed with the resevoir and put coolant in (maybe started with cap off res)without proper bleeding.. when I got home from the shop BAM puddle from overflow

Old 02-15-2012, 04:43 PM
4wd Low

Electric fan? Thought we only had clutch fan? The dealer I bought it from has a retired LR mechanic that works there and like I said ran like a WATCH till the overflow issue. The res hasn't been opened RUNNING since I bought it (like I said only 5 days ago) But I DID top it off (like 1/2 in from full cold) the next day, but it was off. And it ran FINE for another coupla days! UGH. Not happy. Terrified of overheating and now it's dead weight in driveway. The bottom hose from 'stat is COLD when top of 'stat is CAN'T TOUCH hot tho! Isn't that odd??? I was just hoping that it would have been stuck therm and that's it? Bottom hose still gets pretty damn hard but no where NEAR the temp the top hose gets after 5 mins of driving around the block! Seems weird...and it didnt really LEAK out of overflow it was like a STREAM!

Old 02-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Mudding

Yes.. the "Stream".. i had the same thing.. and then it never happened again.. from all the research I done these trucks do tend to run hot.. and you will actually see (i belvieve Spike say) the top hoses -1 will become to hot to touch and the other you will only be able to touch for a few seconds.. this was very comforting to me HAHAA.. cause mine felt like they were blazing as well.. and it described PERFECTLY..

- the electirc fan is in front of the radiator.. you can see it if you look through the black plastic grill.. it shouldnt be running on a cold start-up.. and that fan "should" be kicking on when you are running very hot.. wheres your temp gauge sitting?? you might be worrying over nothing.. follow that bleed procedure to a T.. I had to let my truck run for what seemed like 15min until I stopped seeing the coolant level flutuate..good luck

Old 02-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I would not drive it based on your lack of Rover experience and not bleeding it properly, it will over heat again and everytime it does you are doing more expensive damage without finding and fixing the problem.
If you want some help, send me your number and I'll be glad to walk you thru what to do,check.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Mudding

forgive me but.. he didnt say he over heated?? and "never let it get hot"?? This is why I thought it was air causing the coolant level to raise and out the over flow??

Old 02-15-2012, 06:39 PM
4wd Low

Yeah, the second the needle took off skyward (which now I know is WAY too hot) I pulled into a parking lot and shut her down for over an HOUR. (thank god there was a lot RIGHT there!) I REBLED the system again about an hr ago till it BLEW out the ck valve on the top hose...But god knows. There STILL has to be a reason it did it in the FIRST PLACE!!! GRR! I'll hit you up Mr.Mike! Thanks all!!! Any other id'ers???

Quick Reply: D2 Overheat?