Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 Overheat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok cool.. he'll tell you exactly what you need to do.. come back and let us know for future ref.. like I said I experienced something similar.. minus the needle moving past half.. big difference from what I understand.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Take a look at the cooling system flow. It is normal for cooler water to be at the bottom hose going into stat. It is DESIRED to have hot water going in the top of the stat, it will pass through some metering holes, and warm up the thermostat inside, and when it opens the main flow goes up the "side leg" of the stat to the water pump.

Attached Thumbnails D2 Overheat?-land%252520rover%252520thermostat%252520005.jpg   D2 Overheat?-d2-stat-internal.jpg   D2 Overheat?-d2-stat-internal-2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 cooling layout.pdf (952.8 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 02-15-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:50 PM
4wd Low

It's so WHIERD! So the coolant runs up the SIDE leg after the 'stat opens? God that's fun! So it's (normal) for the hose from the rad to the bottom of the 'stat to stay cool? Ugh. Please feel free to chime in everyone! Any advice is always appreciated!!

THANK YOU to the cold climate DISCO MIKE for calling me right away with my new "to do list"!! I ran down and bled the system AGAIN per his instructions- just like he said, a steady stream out of the top hose! Thanks again Mike!

Old 02-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Mudding

oh.. im sorry.. i thought it was I that told you to do this exactly.. and provided links that reinforced everything I said.. my bad.. im only a lowly Newbie........

Old 02-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Well, it will be cooler than the top one. But in the summer it will be a little warmer than winter. One of the problems we grease monkeys have is that our Mark 1 palm readers are not all calibrated to the same standard. IR thermometers are a great invention. Also ultra gauges and data reading code scanners. Rover spent so much on the alarm system they had to leave off the oil pressure gauge and accurate heat gauge.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Newbies rule! Please understand that the web site denotes you as a senior member after you have made "X" number of posts. It has nothing to do with skill, experience, knowledge, or number of Depends used in troubleshooting the Death Wobble. It is simply how many times you have typed in something. Some very expert people post here, but have low numbers of posts. Do not confuse "volume" with "valid". It is quite possible to have an off duty village idiot like me pontificating about gosh knows what.

In other words, seek multiple sources, and read the factory manuals called the RAVE. These trucks have been around for years and many owners have run this trail before, and posted about it. That's what the search button is for.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:01 AM
Mudding

ha.. always learning something here.. this explains why earlier I seen a "senior member" asking a question I thought he would know the answer too.. as far as the "multiple sources" go.. ever since I start getting my hands dirty with the Disco, it encouraged me to do the same on my older BMW.. (which by the way IMO the bimmer boards are nothing compared to this one) short story.. I almost went for 2 o2 sensors due too a code and MULTIPLE posts.. then I found this one little post off site that explained how to check the symptoms for an intake leak with a can of starter fluid before going for the pricey sensors.. sure enough it turned out to be a 5 dollar gasket..

Old 02-16-2012, 06:45 AM
4wd Low

Rimasco- Yes! And thank YOU very much as well! Ya'll gotta remember when you type an answer to someone that has ZERO experience with these vehicles you have to be ULTRA specific with locations directions an all that. After I've done it once I see everything you said! I had coolant coming out of top hose but not STREAMING out...so after DiscoMike's call from the Colorado tundra I understood what to look for more clearly! But THANK YOU for setting me straight and calming my nerves a bit! Much appreciated!!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Mudding

LOL!! shucks, I was just excited to see something I was familiar with.. glad it worked out for you without hitting your pocket..

Old 02-16-2012, 03:33 PM
4wd Low

Lol well we don't know for SURE yet! Went to Rover dealer today (cause its close) an got a new REAL stat! That an new cap an some SERIOUS bleeding an I'm gonna find out in about two hrs when I drive to my show! Yikes! Fingers DEF CROSSED!!! Still seems rad to stat hose still chilly tho!!!

Quick Reply: D2 Overheat?