Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 Starting Problems - troubleshooting ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 03:51 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 Starting Problems - troubleshooting ideas?

04 D2 still having problems starting...
If the car sits for a while it will sometimes start. I replaced the CPS 6 mos ago and these symptoms are different. I get no dashboard errors. The problems seems to be electrical. All lights and power seem to work but when won't start it doesnt turn over at all. When it does start it sounds rough as if not enough juice is getting to the starter so it somewhat grinds as lights inside also dim during start. I've recorded it both successfully starting and failing to start. Sometimes it will not turn over at all. I suspected a bad battery cell and replaced the battery today but didnt fix the issue. I would GREATLY appreciate any troubleshooting ideas. Here are two video links recorded after battery replaced today.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Check your grounds. When was the last time you changed out those plugs?

quick fyi, both of your links aren't working.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Bad battery cables or electrical grounds.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:12 PM
4wd Low

Have not changed plugs since purchase will definitely check out along with grounds. When checking electrical grounds and cables what am I looking for?

Also I think these links work on the start up videos... Apologies

D2 starting problem (pt. 1) - YouTube

D2 starting problems (pt 2) - YouTube

Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Your videos had sounds like it was turning over, or at least spinning. Not the "nothing", or the "one click" or the "click-click-click". Remove battery terminals and clean terminals and psots with small wire brush until they are so clean you can kiss them (not required). Follow (-) cable to where it attaches to frame and clean that as well. See the attached pix of places to clean on starter and underhood fuse box. On starter pix that big lug on the engine block is a knock sensor, don't tinker with it. In the underhood box, the cables of interest are the large ones at one end, including the big black one. Once the are all clean you can re-attached the battery terminals.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 starter pix.pdf (379.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: pdf
d2 fuse box underhood pix.pdf (371.0 KB, 67 views)
Old 01-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Pro Wrench

You are looking for corrosion on the cabling. patches of green on the ends of wires, etc. If none can be found, pull a spark plug and take a look.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:54 PM
4wd Low

Thanks on all input. The tech manuals and pix are great links as well. Have downloaded the full manual now. I'll clean up and check plugs to see if that does the trick.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Pro Wrench

No problem. When you figure out the cause of your problem, please post it so we know!

Old 01-10-2012, 04:33 PM
4wd Low

Working on checking grounds and plugs on this issue tonight... oddest thing... rolled the driver side window down and now it won't go back up. It is stuck half way. No motor sound or anything. All other windows work just fine. Going to check the fuses, etc but seems odd only driver side wouldn't work and not both front windows or something if it was a fuse. In reading the manual I saw that the motor will be disabled (by BCU I believe) if window signals a stall. Says the stall needs to be cleared for motor to work again. Either way window showed no symptoms at all before this happened. Could be a few silly questions but here they come:

1. Is there a way to clear the stall signal if this is the issue?
2. Could it be the motor? (no bad noises coming from it)
3. LAST BUT NOT LEAST AND THE REASON I WANTED TO INCLUDE THIS IN SAME POST... Could this window issue be related to the starting issues I outlined here? Could they be related?

Man, would be nice if they are related... otherwise just increased the demand for learning more about my D2 ...and fast!

Thanks in advance for seeing my new comments here. The LR family is better than my own!