Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 tail light bulbs not working on LH side

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 tail light bulbs not working on LH side

My tail light (top two small bulbs) were working intermittently, as pointed out by the officer who pulled me over recently. They happened to be working yesterday so I took the bulb holder on the driver's side out of the lamp assembly to have a closer look a the bulbs, contact points and circuitry. I flicked the bulbs and they cut out, came back on a time or two then nothing. I then checked the voltage w/ a trouble light meter at the socket of the bulb holder...nothing(so it doesn't seem to be a contact issue). With the meter I also pierced the wire behind the wiring harness that clips into the bulb holder in order to bypass the fixture altogether...nothing. The brake light and reverse light circuit does work though. Whats more, the right hand side/passenger side tail lights are working...are these not on the same curcuit/fuse?

-where can I find a succinct wiring diagram to help me troubleshoot this issue? Couldn't find anything in my rave manual.
-are the Left and Right taillights on a different circuit in these things?
-if not, where does the wiring physically split from left to right, i.e., how far back can/do I need to trace the wiring on the LH side?
-where is the fuse for the tail lights located? I pulled every fuse from the panel and the working RH side tail light never went out....

As always, thank you all for your help in advance!

Old 11-20-2014, 12:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes, there is a LH and a RH fuse for the tail lights. Look in your owners manual for the fuse # locations. I just had a similar event with my disco. except on the RH side, and it effected the dash lights also, and the front markers!

Old 11-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me. I figured out that my ground was bad. I think it was a brown wire? I ended up splicing in another loom from a junk yard rover.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts
Old 11-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

there is also a right hand and a left hand flasher units, they are located in the panel below the steering wheel.
switch the right and left flasher and see what happens.
they are about half the size of a regular relay depending on the year they could be black or yellow.
last one i had would light for one or two blinks and stop, which could explain why you had power and then did not.