Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week #2 with LR D2 aka The Commander - Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 02:15 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Week #2 with LR D2 aka The Commander - Starting issue

Well the second week with my 03 Disco has been much better - until this morning, but I'll get to that in a bit.

Firstly, hats off to OCMike for the tip of the week. Using an old hanging file folder to remove the stereo worked great. I disconnected all the wires and crap that had been connected up for the sat radio that had been removed. Head unit is still showing CD0 but at least I know it's not a connection issue. I'll RTFM and see if I can figure it out. Oh and I did follow OCMike's suggestion and used a bit of electrical tape over the file folder ends - not a drop of blood spilled.

Other problem reported last week was the engine not starting - one time. This does not appear to be a battery or starter issue. It has started fine every time - until this morning. I had driven out to the airport to drop the Mrs off for a quick trip to STT. I had the window down, had turned the engine off, gotten out, closed doors but not locked it. When I got back in she wouldn't start. Just click and nothing. Bugger.

After futzing about under the hood checking connections in the dark, I remembered, in researching threads, coming across some stuff about the security system and using the key to unlock the door. So I closed the window, got out, locked it with the fob, unlocked it with the key - and sure enough it started right up. Bloody weird. I'm sure to those standing in line observing the proceedings thought that I looked like a proper twit.

I'm enjoying the commanding view from the slightly cramped driving position, so much so that the Mrs thinks "The Commander" may be a better name than LR D2. The Land Rover Discovery is an 'it', and not a he/she. I think of it as asexual - kind of like The Stig!

That's all for now from sunny St. Croix where our temps are always in the 80's(F).