Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 water pump pulley remove

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 05:17 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 water pump pulley remove

Hi my water pump failed taking the belt with it. I know that of the belt is in place I can just put a spanner on the fan hex and belt it with a hammer. However without the belt has anyone got a technique for stopping the pulley turning?

Old 04-17-2017, 05:22 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by patd
Hi my water pump failed taking the belt with it. I know that of the belt is in place I can just put a spanner on the fan hex and belt it with a hammer. However without the belt has anyone got a technique for stopping the pulley turning?
if it's the fan you're trying to remove, I don't think it makes a difference if the belt is on or not. Put spanner on nut and knock it with a hammer.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

A small C clamp on the pulley should stop it well enough to get the fan clutch and pulley bolts off.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:55 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

You need to buy a new belt anyhow so put the new one on then remove the fan clutch. Or you can wedge a prybar between one of the water pump pulley bolts and center hub and crack it loose as you normally would.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Fan nut will not budge

Originally Posted by Racer X
A small C clamp on the pulley should stop it well enough to get the fan clutch and pulley bolts off.
Thanks for the replies. The whole pulley moves because the bearing had shattered I believe. Pulley is jammed in place with piece of wood and wedges to be able to get a good strike with a hammer but this fan nut will not budge. With the fan in place I cannot get in to heat the nut which would release it. I am thinking that the only way is to cut all the blades to get the fan out to access getting some heat on that nut.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Water pump bearing knackered

Originally Posted by Red5
You need to buy a new belt anyhow so put the new one on then remove the fan clutch. Or you can wedge a prybar between one of the water pump pulley bolts and center hub and crack it loose as you normally would.
No neither of those would work. Pulley is jammed in place but the nut will not move. Going to have to cut the fan blades off with the dremel to get some heat on the nut. Or maybe I can get the pump off now that I have access to the flange bolts.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:18 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts
Old 04-19-2017, 01:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick Duffy
Thanks for the replies. The whole pulley moves because the bearing had shattered I believe. Pulley is jammed in place with piece of wood and wedges to be able to get a good strike with a hammer but this fan nut will not budge. With the fan in place I cannot get in to heat the nut which would release it. I am thinking that the only way is to cut all the blades to get the fan out to access getting some heat on that nut.

2-weeks after I bought this D2 the water pump went out and the fan clutch wouldn't come off. you will need a new fan clutch for the new water pump so do what I did and remove the water pump with the fan on it and trash the whole assembly and get some new gear.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick Duffy
Are you trying to turn the nut left?? Standard thread. Lefty loosey righty tighty.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Thanks again for the replies!

Persistence worked. Left it till next morning. Drove my wood wedges in a bit firmer, put the spanner on and wacked it 10 times with my 2lb rubber hammer and it came loose! Funny how in the Atlantic British video he just had to whack it once? Here is one I did earlier!

Quick Reply: D2 water pump pulley remove