Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 won't start, need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 12:07 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 won't start, need a little help

I have a 99 Disco II.

I recently changed the spark plugs (not the wires) and repaired the broken throttle body to expansion tank hose.

After the work I started it up and drove it around for about half an hour or so. Then I left for two weeks.

I went out today to start it and it cranks over like it is out of gas (1/2 tank).

I do have a ODB code P1590 - implausible drive signal...but from my search on here I don't necessarily see the correlation to not starting. (I do have the 3 amigos but I can deal with that....)

Recall that I worked on it and then DROVE it so the work was sound, it ran. So I'm at a loss. I know it doesn't have a fuel filter. I have never heard the fuel pump, ever. Don't know if there is any easy way to check to see if its getting fuel to the injectors?

Any help is appreciated....

Old 03-30-2016, 06:12 AM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabez
I have a 99 Disco II.

I recently changed the spark plugs (not the wires) and repaired the broken throttle body to expansion tank hose.

After the work I started it up and drove it around for about half an hour or so. Then I left for two weeks.

I went out today to start it and it cranks over like it is out of gas (1/2 tank).

I do have a ODB code P1590 - implausible drive signal...but from my search on here I don't necessarily see the correlation to not starting. (I do have the 3 amigos but I can deal with that....)

Recall that I worked on it and then DROVE it so the work was sound, it ran. So I'm at a loss. I know it doesn't have a fuel filter. I have never heard the fuel pump, ever. Don't know if there is any easy way to check to see if its getting fuel to the injectors?

Any help is appreciated....
I'd be trying to test the fuel pump first before considering other options like the crank position sensor. Remember you need fuel, air and spark for ignition. (And a Crank sensor that cooperates)

Could be fuel pump relay, too. Not sure if it could be swapped with another relay to test. Hopefully simple as that.

You might have a friend turn the key a click with your ear laid across the back cargo floor listening for the pump. I believe it's atop the fuel tank just under the back flooring. Might tell if you get a whirring sound. If you hear it, it's pumping fuel. Then maybe check the fuel shrader valve on the rail for fuel spray.

I don't have direct experience with the crank position sensor but read a lot about them. lots of times imitates bad fuel pump.

This doesn't apply to you, but talks a bit about the Crank Sensor:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e-water-42483/

Another article about the sensor
http://www.landroversonly.com/forums...s/42875?page=1

Last edited by jamieb; 03-30-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

There is a schrader valve on the fuel rail for checking fuel pressure. If you don't have a fuel pressure tester, you could push the valve in and see if fuel comes out of it.
I don't think the P1590 code has anything to do with the no start condition. A no start can be caused by a lot of things. I would start by checking for fuel and spark. The crank position sensor is a pretty common failure on these trucks. Without it, you'll have no spark or fuel injector pulse. It also tells the ECU to turn on the fuel pump while cranking, but there is typically a fuel pump prime when you first turn the key to the on position.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Default still won't start......

I do not seem to be getting spark OR fuel.

I cannot actually get to that Schrader valve to check fuel pressure but I pulled 2 plugs...

No fuel by smell or visual in the cylinder as turned it over multiple times. A check with a clean paper towel also came back with no fuel. At the same time I checked for spark on the plug and by screw driver... No spark.

If it was the crank position sensor...would it throw an error code?

otherwise it's like its locked out....

I tried jumping it too after I noticed that my battery dropped to 10.2v while cranking. I don't think that's an issue but I jumped it with my 1 ton to make sure. Turns over fine...just no fuel or spark.

I also checked the battery in my FOB and tried my spare FOB just in case. It made no difference.

Could it be the crank position sensor?

Thanks,

Old 04-02-2016, 05:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

No codes are thrown by a failed crankshaft position sensor. That's likely the problem.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Almost surely crank position sensor, inertial switch, or fuel pump.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:32 AM
Three Wheeling
Default It was the crank position sensor....

I replaced the crank position sensor and it started right up....

For all the guys doing research on this repair...a couple of suggestions:
- unbolting the exhaust manifold coupling on the drivers side MAY help you get there a bit better, but you don't have to disconnect the exhaust. Its tight but doable.
- If you are reading other threads on this you will have found that disconnecting the cable to the sensor is the crux of this job. I found the following:
unbolt the sensor (see the youtube video, you can google that), then disconnect the cable FROM above. I climbed up in the bay and reached down and flipped the connector right off. I put it back on from above too.

- if you disconnect the exhaust, of course you will need the gasket kit

Another interesting note...my original sensor lasted 234K miles....we will see what I get out of this one.

Thanks to all who pointed me in the right direction and thanks to all who are always ready to help on this forum.

Much appreciated!

Old 04-07-2016, 06:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice! I'm glad you got it figured out. Thank you for posting the fix. That's not exactly common practice on this forum.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Ditto that.

Posts like that help future people with the same issue.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 04-07-2016 at 06:34 AM.