Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily Driver or Only Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink I seem to be the misfit...

Okay, so I Used to drive my 98 D1 as my daily, for the first few years when I bought her in flordia back in 05. Since then I moved back up north and had to get a second car for work. I bought a '04 Saab 93 5speed turbo for rackin up miles (Prius-Shmius- the Saab gets 33mpg and will do 80+ in 3rd gear).

Now I drive 160+ mi per day (round trip) so I only use the Disco during the weekends for Canoeing/Biking/snowboard runs to the Poconos, trips around town, Haul'n the Scooter/Trailers around, 4wheeln runs into the NJ-pine barrens and take'n the dog for his walks in the woods near my house. What's funny...I have both the Saab and the Disco parked next to one another and when I take my dog on a car ride, he always walks up to the driver side of the Disco!

I save the 160mi's a day for the Saab and do all of my play'n with the Disco.

Even though I have a second car, the Disco sees lot's of miles on the weekend and after 5pm during the week. For me It's all about balance....

Old 07-12-2017, 06:46 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys, I'm looking for some stories and pictures and owner commentary on the Disco as a daily driver. I started this website Second Daily Classics | What's your daily? where we focus on covering cool vintage classics that could make dailys or second dailys. We will be a full online curated auction site for classic/vintage/enthusiast cars in about 8 weeks. So we'll also be looking for cars for submission.

We covered the Defender a few weeks ago, the Santana vs Land Rover, today is Dutch Safari, the RRC tomorrow and a few others planned for later. Want to get to the Disco soon.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:58 AM
4wd High
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I daily mine about 130mils a day round trip for work and off road it about 1 every 2 months to rausch creek. 2002 disc with 190k on the chassis and 90k on the engine.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine is my daily driver, and I take her out into the high desert and off road her every chance I get.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:23 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mskembo
Mine is my daily driver, and I take her out into the high desert and off road her every chance I get.

nice, care to share any great shots? you can either go to the blog and contact us through that or shoot us an email to support@seconddaily.com

Old 07-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

I daily drive mine, though my wife has it right now since the suburban is in the shop again. Even with the farm in southern Missouri I don't get to take it off road as much as I'd like.

But just got back from a 1,700 mile road trip. Went from the Ozark hills of Missouri to the flat lands of southern Illinois to the rolling hills of Kentucky into the Smokies of Tennessee and the Carolinas until we hit the beaches on the east coast. Four adults and all our stuff and the Rover ran great and at acceptable engine temps. Even with the oversized tires and 3 inch lift it is still a more comfortable ride than our '04 Suburban.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 07-13-2017, 05:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I've daily driven 2 different D2's in my past and my current one was a daily driver for a couple months. My commute isn't that far currently but in the past my drive was around 60 miles to and from work each day. My D2 may go back to daily use as I'm considering selling my '02 BMW to pay off some bills and maybe get a RTT if I have enough leftover.

With most cars I feel the more they sit around the more stuff fails on them. When I was a full time BMW mechanic the cars that were only driven a few times a month seemed to have the most mechanical problems, wheel bearings at low miles, trans shifting issues, odd software problems, sunroof not opening or closing properly, window regulator failure ect. The ones that were driven a lot or at least daily usually just needed the basic service and wear item repairs but didn't need as much work as the ones that sat around.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:11 PM
Drifting

Love it, would be great if you guys could send me some pictures over, I'll match them to your stories in the feature. Include how long you've had it, what it is, etc. if you can. Email us at support@seconddaily.com

Old 07-13-2017, 06:19 PM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I trust it to drive 6 hours round trip plus the average of 5 hours of trail time 1-2 times a month. Daily driving it would be the easiest thing I could do to my D2!

Quick Reply: Daily Driver or Only Vehicle