Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dang coolant leak - what could be the possible source?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Dang coolant leak - what could be the possible source?

Bertha is at it again - like clock-work she has sprung a leak. Coolant. Trying to determine the source. Last fall it was the headgaskets, this winter it was the throttle body and now?... Just walked by the Rover to notice a green coolant puddle in front and in back of the front passenger tire. Looks like it's dripping off of the underside of the front bumper and also the undercarriage right behind the passenger front tire. Poked around under the hood and didn't see anything too obvious. I'm trying to be inconspicuous as I have a nosy neighbor that tries to start trouble for me 24/7 with the association. Any thoughts? Hoping it's just a hose or something to do with the coolant reservoir... probably should drive it elsewhere and take a flashlight to it, eh? Always something... Also checked the reservoir and it's down below the fill line but not by much. Could something (pressure?) cause the reservoir to spit out coolant as the car cools?..

Old 06-26-2014, 08:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

heater core hoses, reservoir cap, hardline leading into the reservoir?

There's a lot of stuff on the passenger side... did you actually have a look yet?

Old 06-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

A borrowed pump from auto parts store lets you pump up air pressure to about 15 PSI inside coolant system and wait for leak to show itself. If you really want to anger the association try a SeaFoam treatment.....

Old 06-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Dane!
heater core hoses, reservoir cap, hardline leading into the reservoir?

There's a lot of stuff on the passenger side... did you actually have a look yet?
Coolant cap is too easy. It has to be an 'emotionally immersed opus' to remotely interest me... but seriously, I took the cap off and it was still pressurized and this was probably an hour and a half to 2 hours after getting home and then noticing the 'puddles'. I didn't see anything from the hardline leading into the reservoir but it was getting a bit dark and there was something on the 'pedestal' where the reservoir sits but it was really oily feeling to me. Clear, oily and then black residual crap from something up there too.

Heater core hoses.. I'm going to have to look in the RAVE and see if I can locate them. I was thinking bigger than hoses - like a thermostat issue or a pressure issue? I have 117k on Bertha and she's never had her thermostat changed out. No overheating, nothing amiss on the temp gauge, etc. Didn't notice anything when driving home tonight - just noticed it after I parked

I'm planning on taking a look at it in the morning, will check the coolant level again and fire her up and see. I love this vehicle but she drives me crazy.. I know that I'm not going to sleep well tonight.

thanks guys...

Chris

Old 06-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
A borrowed pump from auto parts store lets you pump up air pressure to about 15 PSI inside coolant system and wait for leak to show itself. If you really want to anger the association try a SeaFoam treatment.....

I've heard of it?.. still have no idea what it is though

Old 06-27-2014, 05:55 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

borrow or rent a pressure tester, anything else is just wasting time & effort

Old 06-27-2014, 07:07 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had a leak in the throttle body heater return line, it ran right over the cruise control bracket into the reservoir and had rubbed a hole.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Figured it out, thanks guys. Yes, it is a hose. Outlet hose (not the right terminology I'm sure) coming out of the coolant reservoir is leaking. I topped up the reservoir this morning, started her up, fiddled around with hoses and sure enough the hose coming out of the reservoir has a pretty good leak. Wondering if it got too hot or was rubbing on something? There are a bunch of wires partially exposed directly underneath it and I know that that rubber hose gets somewhat hot while running.. perhaps friction caused the leak in mine too?

Now for the stupid part. Is this something I can fix myself or do I need to take it in somewhere.. can someone please give me a lesson in clamping 101? Can I cut the hose and re-clamp? The leak is about 2 inches from the reservoir and it appears that I may have enough slack to cut and reclamp. I realize that I will have coolant leaking all over while fixing it..

At least it's nothing major. What a PITA...

Old 06-27-2014, 07:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by cer308
I recently had a leak in the throttle body heater return line, it ran right over the cruise control bracket into the reservoir and had rubbed a hole.
What did you do to prevent the rubbing again in the future? I could be having the same issue. Thanks again for the post!

Old 06-27-2014, 09:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle

So Bertha is stuck in the drive because I can't figure out how to remove the dang hose clamp and she's leaking all over. It is the throttle body return hose. Think I'm going to have to leave it for the day and go get a screw on type hose clamp at the hardware store and do it tonight. If I cut the hose, remove the old clamp, extend the hose back to the reservoir and then clamp it with the screw on type of hose clamp, I should be good to go, right? The screw on type of clamp is strong enough for the pressure? Any advice?

I know these are dorky questions - new to repairing my own vehicle. Take it easy on me please..

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Dang coolant leak - what could be the possible source?