Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Darn it. I made a bone headed mistake.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016 | 03:22 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Darn it. I made a bone headed mistake.

Hi all. So I am here in NJ where we just got walloped with snow.... 29'' in my town. Any who, yesterday while I was digging my truck out, the steering wheel was making a whine. I don't have a garage so I couldn't get underneath the truck well to check on things. I figured I would do a fluid change to see if that would help, as repairing anything is somewhat difficult at the moment... I don't have a garage. The last time I did the change I followed Disco Mike's recommendation and put a bottle of Lucas power steering stop leak in. I figured I would do the same this time around but what I didn't remember is that I put in only a small amount of stop leak and then power steering fluid..... Not just the stop leak itself as the bottle says you can do. So, after I did the flush (turkey baster removal and stop leak in after) I didn't have any power steering at all. I ... In continuing my boneheadedness .... Figured that I had a little air in the system and decided to go for a spin around the block. During the drive the power steering began to kick back in a little bit but not much. When I got home I looked under the truck and was pouring out power steering fluid. I opened the hood and power steering fluid was coming out of the top of the reservoir. I cleaned up the mess and looked around and it looks like I am leaking from the inlet line connection on the bottom of the pump as well. I am planning on replacing the hose but before I did I Just wanted to see what you guys thought in terms of if I destroyed anything else. Not sure how the pump is made up so I don't know if it is leaking internally or not. Also, how do I get my paws in there to release that connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-26-2016 | 04:20 PM
|
Three Wheeling

I managed to snap a photo of where it is leaking on the bottom of the pump. I guess my question is if the nipple where the hose connects to the pump is cast as part of the housing or not. I would imagine that if it is, then it has to be the hose connection leaking and not the pump.

Attached Thumbnails Darn it.  I made a bone headed mistake.-image.jpg  
Old 01-26-2016 | 04:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by starcraft1
I managed to snap a photo of where it is leaking on the bottom of the pump. I guess my question is if the nipple where the hose connects to the pump is cast as part of the housing or not. I would imagine that if it is, then it has to be the hose connection leaking and not the pump.
I thought mine was the hose, also. No such luck. The pump was leaking on the hose and dripping off. Hose was fine, pump was shot. Advance Auto had 1 in stock.