Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer can fix it...... for $4,900 !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation Dealer can fix it...... for $4,900 !!!!

Went to the dealer today and got my alignment done. No problems there. Had them check some other issues such as heated seats, re-occurring code P1668, and constant battery drain from ABS. The heated seats need new elements. Cost to fix = $695 (I'll pass). Code P1668 is from the weak battery. The BCM tested fine. The battery drain is from a faulty ABS modulator. Cost to replace = $3,560 They also did the "27 point complimentary inspection." Front brake pads are down to 3mm. They want $545!! Obviously, I can do that myself. So, until I find a good used modulator, I'm going to keep a trickle charger on it. He said it wasn't a good idea to keep disconnecting the battery or letting it get discharged as it could lead to a lot of ECM/BCM issues and one day it may not even start. Time to search e-bay for a modulator.....
Edit to say that they also told me on the early D2 models, I don't have to have the BCM reprogrammed to add options like fog lights and heated windshield. On later models those options are done thru the BCM.

Eric

Last edited by SDinDS; 11-15-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bet they can!!! At that price it should come with a complimentary engine!!

Try this...

http://www.landroverclubvi.com/abs-mod.html

Your ABS modulator by be shorting to ground and causing your battery to go dead. This fix, if it works, may save you big $$. Worst case scenario, you need to replace the modulator anyway.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Fireman
I just bet they can!!! At that price it should come with a complimentary engine!!

Try this...

http://www.landroverclubvi.com/abs-mod.html

Your ABS modulator by be shorting to ground and causing your battery to go dead. This fix, if it works, may save you big $$. Worst case scenario, you need to replace the modulator anyway.

Thanks for the link. Nice write up. Thing is, I don't have the 3 amigos, Amigo reader shows no faults, and the dealer didn't pull any codes either. I asked him if maybe the shuttle valve was bad, but he said no, the problem is in the modulator itself. Looking at ebay, there's one in guaranteed working condition at $50 (1 bid) and a couple "buy it now" round $160 with a 60 day warranty. Think maybe I'll avoid the hassle and go that route. Would hate to spend the time & money on mine and find out it really is shot.

Eric

Old 11-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Eric,
Send me your number and I can call you and walk you thru thes issues.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good 'ol stealership for ya.

I don't trust these guys for ANYTHING service related. Period. Not oil changes, nothing.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ShortTom
Good 'ol stealership for ya.

I don't trust these guys for ANYTHING service related. Period. Not oil changes, nothing.
If I had the Testbook computer, I would never go I usually never go to a dealer but this one is decent and they haven't tried to sell me on parts or service that I don't need. They know about all the work I've done myself and I'm not one to hand over my credit card and say have at it.

Mike, thanks for calling me. I read thru the link that Fireman posted and, you're right, it doesn't look that hard. And like you said, no sense buying used when I'm probably gonna have to do that fix anyway on a used one.
Next weekend's project is lined up.

Eric

Old 11-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SDinDS
If I had the Testbook computer, I would never go I usually never go to a dealer but this one is decent and they haven't tried to sell me on parts or service that I don't need. They know about all the work I've done myself and I'm not one to hand over my credit card and say have at it.

Mike, thanks for calling me. I read thru the link that Fireman posted and, you're right, it doesn't look that hard. And like you said, no sense buying used when I'm probably gonna have to do that fix anyway on a used one.
Next weekend's project is lined up.

Eric
Props to you for your go get em 'tude.

I'm sure I'll be right next to you sooner or later, but we'll see how long she lasts.