Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Jerks...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 12:50 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Jerks...

This is a little story on what happened when I went to get my 03' HSE7 apraised at the dealer.
I took my land rover to a Nissan dealer in New Jersey for a free quick apraisal. I am selling it (with tears running down) for two good reazons. One of those reazons might not sit well with you guys but these are my reazons. First I need to get a bigger family vehicle and checked out a 2005 Nissan Armada which is huge and seats 8 confortably. NO OFFENSE TO THE DISCOS, please bear with me. The other reazon is because the armada is really for my wife who drives the kids and does the shopping and family stuff. So I would be getting an 06 Range Rover for my weekend driving. my my dilema is that when the dealer apraised the Disco, he embarrased me by offering me 10,000 for it. My face almost fell off... This truck is in GREAT condition, 61K miles, No problems, under a 3 year excellent service agreement which hasnt been touched. And I have babied it for the 8 months i've had it. Im the second owner. Some one please shed some light into my tunnel and tell me that dealer was wrong for offering that chump change he did. I paid 23K for it. The blue book is 19K. Perhaps I can sleep well after someone comments this.........

Old 07-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Dealer Jerks...

Sounds like the dealer was looking to make a bit of extra profit there, I'd say you should probably list the car for sale yourself. It might take a bit of extra time and effort on your part but you're looking @ a $9k spread between blue book & the dealer price. You'll probably wind up selling it for $16k or something like that but hey the difference you've made will pay for the extended warranty on your '06 Rover

Best of luck to you,
Walter

Old 07-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Rock Crawling

The same thing has happened to me. I quoted the blue book value and the dealer's blue book was wayyy lower. He said my bluebook value was retail, they use the wholesale bluebook value when they buy a car or take one in trade. Long story short, the dealer will always screw you - period. If you can sell it yourself, you'll do a lot better, just be careful with bill of sale, receipt, certified check, and don't be desperate to sell right now.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your better off selling it yourself. The dealers can only make money from it if they undercut your price. The amount they undercut you by would be their profit margin. Dealers have lots of overhead. Again careful with the sale, receipt, certified check etc. when selling yourself. Good Luck.
Ed