Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealership service

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealership service

Can anyone share any experinces with dealship service from the dealers in the chicagoland area? I have to bring my discoII in for the first time around here any wonder if some are better than others for service. Just came home tonight and hadbad vibrations when going over 70. The list for them is getting longer and only had the car a week,thank god it's under warranty!!!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: dealership service

There is a pretty good chance that the vibration is the rear "roto-flex" joint that is cracked. This is sometimes referred to as a "doughnut" and bolts between the rear of the back driveshaft ---and the input flange of the rear differential. It is a common failure item and you should address the possibility of this being the cause...NOW.

On the Chicagoland Dealer subject, I can only say that the Dealer is best used as a resource ONLY during the factory warranty period, and in some cases, if there was a extended warranty purchased through that Dealer. Other than that ---they cannot compete with a credible independent Land Rover shop for repairs, as their parts markup is high, and in too many cases it seems, their service managers and/or service advisors are under pressure from the "front-end" (the Sales department and General Manager) to "up-sell" labor operations in the category referred to in the industry as "customer pay labor".

Of course this is my opinion-- but many moons ago I was a Servicemanager at auto dealers in the Chicagoland area, and not much has changed since then. My buddies here in Northern California that work at independents, but came from Land Rover Dealers-- feed me the latest scoop and it's like the old saying......."the more things change, the more they remain the same"---or something like that.........

regards,
Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com -- Land Rover Hard Parts delivered to your doorstep

"serving the do-it-yourselfowner/enthusiast"